HCH II Upholstery Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH II Upholstery Cleaner

I have the 2 tone interior on my HCH and the door handles have the same kind of fabric on it as the seats. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting their upholstery cleaned? Since my door handles are the off white (stone/computer grey) color they get dirty pretty easily.

Any product recommendations or methods of cleaning?

Thanks,

BP

Old 06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II Upholstery Cleaner

Once you do get them cleaned (a good car wash/detailer should be able to remove stains or else defer to someone here on the list for product) I recommend getting a can of Scotch Guard and spraying the whole interior (outside with all door open! The fumes will kill you). Spills and stains will become less and less likely.

Best,

Michael

Old 06-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II Upholstery Cleaner

I just applied Scotch Guard on my HCH2. Use the regular stuff, NOT the outdoor type. The regular stuff will not affect your upholstery color. I expect the outdoor stuff would. It is much heavier duty and apparently may have odor issues. The interior type stuff will leave NO odor when it is completely dry.

Read the instructions on application. Don't soak it. Also I suggest doing it on a DRY day.. leave the doors wide open and give it a good 8+ hours (12 suggested). Don't apply it in large quantity. A little goes a long way. Expect 1/2 can to do the interior. Apply and dry it twice for better coverage. I only did it once.. I may reapply on an upcoming weekend.

Scotch Guard stinks to all heck after application.. and try not to breathe the fumes if at all possible. If you get it on any of the plastic/trim. Wipe it off with a clean cloth (cotton t-shirt is fine). It comes off easily.

After the odor subsided.. my car smelled like brand spankin new. Ya know.. the new car smell.. and that was from the car itself. Not the Scotch Guard.

As far as cleaning up stains down the road... I have yet to encounter that problem. When I do.. i'll likely go to a detail shop. Unless I can get my hands on a small one-hand steam cleaner. I expect that would work just fine.

I need to install the all-weather mats this weekend. The carpets just get dirty too quickly.. and this winter its going to get nasty with all the sand/salt/snow.

-G

Last edited by GaryW; 06-13-2006 at 08:43 AM. Reason: bad typo day.