HCH II and Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II and Daytime Running Lights

If a person wants to turn off the daytime lights, they should be able to do it. All this automatic think-for-you crap they keep pushing on us is really getting on my nerves.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by zimbop
If a person wants to turn off the daytime lights, they should be able to do it. All this automatic think-for-you crap they keep pushing on us is really getting on my nerves.
I agree with you.

But not on DRLs because they improve safety.
They just may save your life when that senior citizen just barely does notice your car at dusk only because you had DRLs.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:14 AM

Again, however, there are times when they need to be off, so you should be able to turn them off. I am all for recommending that they be on while driving, but people aren't always driving in their car and they should be able to control that stuff. Making stuff so it can't be controled by the driver is doing too much thinking for us. Period.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zadscmc
You should be careful about disabling the lights. If you get a "smart" police officer, they (depending on the state) can cite you for disabling them.

In NJ, if you have lights on the car, the MUST work for the purpose intended. IE Fog lights must be aligned as fog lights and work. DRLs must be aligned ...

PS. They also serve the purpose of satisfying the "lights on..." rules that some states have for:
  • Lights on in construction zone<
  • Lights on when the wipers are on<
In Texas this isnt true. And I doubt pretty much anywhere else too. In Volvos, the instruction manuals tell you how to disable the lights. ALl you do is turn a screw on the light panel. They are designed to be turned off. For the record, nobody is getting tickets for not having their daytime running lights on.

The daytime running lights "requirement" on new cars lost steam years ago. Its a leftover concept no longer in play. That being said, I do not doubt statistical safety benefits, but driving a hybrid in itself is of much greater safety benefit due to safer slower driving in general.

I'd like to have the option of turning mine off if I want without having to remove the fuse.

BTW- Does the Prius have daytime running lights?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Yes, I'm afraid you must suffer because most people are stupid. Welcome to America, land of the lowest-common-denominator.

I don't have a particular objection to having an "off" switch for them, but where do you draw the line? Do you want a switch to turn off the ABS, too? It's not like Honda made it a secret that the car had them.

DRL's are passive, not like automatic rain-sensing wipers (which startle the hell out of me when they kick in).

I don't really see this as a major issue. If you can just pull the fuse and disable them, I'd do it and be happy.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heaviestcat
It stands to reason that it does take net energy out of the cars electrical system that will have to be replenished. In a hybrid I suspect that this would cause an even greater loss of fuel economy compared to a conventional ICE powered car due to the acceleration that the electric motor can provide from electrical power.
this is REALLY a good one... man, I got today 67.6 mpg for a 45.7 miles drive today. I will drive back home for 15 miles and I will end somewhere above 65 mpg.

I'm kind of satisfied with my FE, EVEN NOW THE LIGHTS ARE ON

I dont care to much of them because:

1) I dont see them anyway
2) Any extra safty over zero is good, doesent matter how significat is comparred to the other ones. Personally I believe that with those on I am more visible on the streets/highway...
3) I strongly believe that the FE is not affected by turning those light OFF, or it's so small that's negligeable. With these cars there are way better ways to save on gas that turning lights off... hahahaha

Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

blinkard: what automatic rain-sensing wipers??

Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 PM

UMMM.....so does all of this mean there isn't anyway to turn off the Daytime lights without pulling a fuse?......Thats all I was really asking to begin with....

Old 04-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Again, however, there are times when they need to be off,
name a few times when those lights should be off....

like a), b) c)...

Old 04-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by masgian
blinkard: what automatic rain-sensing wipers??
I was driving a friend's Buick Behemoth on a road trip one time and the car detected a drop of moisture on the windscreen and turned the wiper on. Startled the hell out of me and I swerved. (Okay, so I'm jumpy.)

Something like that does need a switch so you can turn it off.

Quick Reply: HCH II and Daytime Running Lights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands