Old 07-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default HCH eat your heart out!

70 MPG and it looks like a fish! This is getting a little more promising

http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/art...s=bibendum2006

Old 07-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH eat your heart out!

70 mpg sounds good, the diesel hybrid also looks good and hopefully the Honda Fit will release the Fit in a hybrid version, anticipated at 60mpg at a very affordable price. I hope the government will update the tax credit laws, I know I would have purchased a regular Civic if it wasn’t for the $2100 tax credit.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Energy Independence

So ugly it's cute!
70 MPG and fast and low aerodynamic-drag from a box-look. Wow.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
So ugly it's cute!
Exactly. I would drive this thing around in a heart beat. Bring it on!(Not trying to endorse W in any shape or form here )

Old 07-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast

looks a little like an insight, IMHO. For me though, 70 mpg diesel isn't better than 70 mpg regular gas. The emissions are part of what I care about and despite not really knowing alot about it, I know diesel is much worse.

(savign for a tesla)

Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's not worse. It's all in you head. Try do some research and you will see.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ummm...back in the 80's, Toyota built a concept car that got 70mpg on gasoline. No hybrid, just a plain old ICE. Just because someone shows they can do something on a concept car, doesn't mean it'll ever see the open road.

I recall an article from years ago talking about the teardrop shape and aerodynamics. They sliced off parts of it and tested the airflow. Basically, you can do pretty much anything you want with the front, as long as the rear tapers down smoothly.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blinkard
Ummm...back in the 80's, Toyota built a concept car that got 70mpg on gasoline. No hybrid, just a plain old ICE. Just because someone shows they can do something on a concept car, doesn't mean it'll ever see the open road.
The rules are different now. Gas is taking a big chunk out of people so if they build it, they will come.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Anything labelled "the bionic..." whatever makes me cringe a bit. Their explanation seems kind of hokey, too. It may be the actual explanation behind the design (basing it on a boxfish, using 'biology' mixed with 'mechanics' to make a 'bionic' design), but it's still the kind of thing that comes out sounding contrived.

The bit about how the box-fish has the right cross section for the interior of a car seems sorta plausible, but what about the apparently invisible handles and lack of side mirrors? That makes it look significantly different than a typical car, but that feature is also pretty un-fishlike, considering the boxfish's two side fins and protruding eyes.

It's an interesting concept car, and boxfishes are cool- so sorry if I seem overly critical. Everyone has gimmicks in marketing, I suppose.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

That’s probably true about they will come, but once the car is changed during a production run the mpg will probably go down. Production testing is what I would like to see. Prototypes sound good, real world production and driving will probably damper the excitement.

Quick Reply: HCH eat your heart out!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands