HCH 2007 driving on electric alone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default HCH 2007 driving on electric alone?

The Honda web site says that the 2007 Honda Civid Hybrid "electric motor CAN propel the car from a stop to speeds up to 35 mph". Can anyone describe under what conditions you can do that? Does the car really run on pure electric as you slowly move ahead in traffic? When you accelerate at a green light from a complete stop, what determines whether / when the gasoline motor turns on? I've always wanted the electric to do more (alas my 2005 HCH doesn't support any movement under electric power alone and the engine restarts as soon as I take my foot off the brake even if it is to move ahead 20 feet at 2 mph).

Old 04-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH 2007 driving on electric alone?

Mine operates as you described. As soon as you lift your foot off the brake the ICE starts. There are conditions where the car operates on electric only, but never accelerating from a stop. I wish there was a switch I could hold down to put the car in electric only when I want it to. Like when stopped at a light and the traffic creeps forward. If I creep forward 20 feet with the traffic when I come to a stop again the ICE will not enter auto stop mode. Then I'm stuck at the light with the engine running and the MPGs dropping. If I could just use the IMA to creep forward a few feet that would be much better. I really love my car so far, but I think we are just at the infancy of hybrid-electric technology and these cars are going to be so much better in the coming years.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

I completely agree with you about the dsesired new feature (Honda - go for it!). I've thought a lot about it and I believe that a switch on the steering wheel that blocks the starter would be ideal. It would enable people unfamiliar with the car to drive normally. Those of us who see a long line of traffic ahead could press the button and then nudge the "gas" pedal to inch ahead without the engine restarting (which currently remains running because the car never gets going fast enough to allow it to shut off again).

Old 04-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

I needed this "feature" today. Got stuck in a few miles of creeping traffic.

I was able, one time only today, to get into auto stop but the car was still moving. I was on a slight down hill which helped. I was able to move at 5 MPH with the engine off. I was able to modulate the speed thru braking without the ICE restarting.

Not quite the same but still an interesting technique.

Jim

Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, in my 2005 HCH the engine does turn off when thre car is going slowly and I can brake harder and lighter as I coast down hill. I believe that I'm running on gravity and not the electric motor (anytime I get too light on the brakes, the engine restarts).

What I'm seeking is evidence that a newer model can actually move under electric motor power only at any speed (as the competing Prius has been claimed to do)... Has anyone seen it happen in a Honda Civic Hybrid? The HCH 2007 specification sheet seems to claim that it is possible even at substantial speeds...

Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drquine
Yes, in my 2005 HCH the engine does turn off when thre car is going slowly and I can brake harder and lighter as I coast down hill. I believe that I'm running on gravity and not the electric motor (anytime I get too light on the brakes, the engine restarts).

What I'm seeking is evidence that a newer model can actually move under electric motor power only at any speed (as the competing Prius has been claimed to do)... Has anyone seen it happen in a Honda Civic Hybrid? The HCH 2007 specification sheet seems to claim that it is possible even at substantial speeds...
It can definitely travel under power of the electric motor only. I do it every day. At speeds from 10 or so up to 60 or so. The valves all open on the engine, the injectors stop firing, and the CVT keeps the motor at about 1100 RPM. The MPG meter moves all the way up to 100. You can very carefully bring the assist meter up to 4 bars without causing the engine to kick back in. Basically a coasting condition with a little bit of assist from the electric motor. With practice you can put the car into this mode almost at will, and keep it there for a while when you want. What it won't do is accelerate from a stop on the IMA only.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockMonkey
The valves all open on the engine, the injectors stop firing, and the CVT keeps the motor at about 1100 RPM.
http://world.honda.com/news/2005/4050705_b.html
"Deceleration: The valves of all four of the engine's cylinders are closed and combustion halted."

Ken@Japan

Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 AM

If I could just use the IMA to creep forward a few feet that would be much better.
The Honda IMA system means the motor and the engine crank shaft is directly connected, which means the crank shaft has to turn when the motor turns.

Ken@Japan

Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ken1784
http://world.honda.com/news/2005/4050705_b.html
"Deceleration: The valves of all four of the engine's cylinders are closed and combustion halted."

Ken@Japan
Okay, same end result.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Okay, same end result.
No! Open or close, they are completly different story.
Again, http://world.honda.com/news/2005/4050705_b.html
"During deceleration when the cylinders are idle, combustion in all four cylinders is halted and the cylinders sealed shut, reducing pumping losses caused by engine aspiration for a 10% improvement in recovery of braking energy compared to the current model."

Ken@Japan

Quick Reply: HCH 2007 driving on electric alone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands