HCH '06 headrest discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH '06 headrest discomfort

Hi all,

I just got my new '06 Civic Hybrid on Monday, and am overall very pleased with it (41 mpg so far, but I'm on my first tank and I think the dealership idled it a lot while they were prepping it for me...also, I'm up here in Massachusetts).

One major issue, though: headrest. It's incredibly uncomfortable--it makes my neck bend way too far forward, even if I recline the seat more. On a different website's forum, a 5'10" woman said the same...I'm 5'2", so it seems like height isn't really the issue.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, how have you dealt with it? On the other forum, a suggestion was made about using an Accord '06 headrest instead...it supposedly fits and is less protruding. I'd love to hear what others think, though.

I look forward to posting more positive messages about the car soon. :) It's as attractive and as much fun as I'd hoped, and I'll keep my hopes up for even higher mpg and comfort (once I get through the headrest issue).

~Emily
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, Opal Silver

Old 01-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH '06 headrest discomfort

I am 6'4" and my wife is 5' even. We have not had any issues with the head rest so far, although we have only owned the car for about 5 days. Although I did notice the the driver side head rest does protrude much farther forward than the passenger side.

DKeane

Old 01-05-2006, 06:30 PM

Have you tried telescoping the steering wheel and moving it up and down to try to find a position which makes your body allign better so the headrest doesn't cause a problem?

Also, as far as MPG goes. Expect about 5mpg or so bump in the spring when temperatures warm up.

Edit:

Have you tried putting something like those beeds or whatever that people use to let air get behind them and the seat? Or maybe a massage pad something like this http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...s=&prodtemp=t2

Maybe not that expensive, but I hope you get the idea of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by tbaleno; 01-05-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Consider taking out the headrest and installing it backwards.
It will protrude back instead of forward.

You must decide if this is safe.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM

Kenny, what are the chances it was installed backward at the factory?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the fast replies!

I have tried moving the steering wheel around, adjusting seat height (trying different combos of seat height, angle, and wheel position), and haven't had much luck. Maybe I'll see if the passenger-side headrest is any better...

Thanks again! And also for the mileage encouragement. Spring is great in so many ways.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:39 PM

See the edit to my last post.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Consider taking out the headrest and installing it backwards.
It will protrude back instead of forward.

You must decide if this is safe.
Out of desperation, I did try that this afternoon, but it didn't support my head at all (too far back), so I'm pretty sure I'd get whiplash if I had an accident. So I switched it back around.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Perhpas it is your posture, or how you are sitting.
Could you be slouching?

Would a small cushion behind your back help?

BTW I suspect it is more safe for the headrest to be very close to, if not touching, your head.

Can you get used to this?
Do you have a big hairdo that it messes up?
I'm having trouble visualizing how this could be a problem.

Last edited by kenny; 01-05-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast

Nope, not slouching; in fact, my posture is better than in my last car. My back is snugly against the backrest...then, when it gets to my neck, instead of keeping my spine in alignment, my head is forced forward.

No big hairdo for me. I haven't really met many high-maintenance hybrid drivers.

I do want it to touch my head; right now, it's touching the top of my head, but I'd like for it to be supporting the back of my head and my neck.

Seems like this isn't a problem for you guys right now, so I'll chalk it up to an individual comfort issue, and maybe try and get the dealer to give me a break on an Accord headrest (after all, they wouldn't want their first '06 hybrid customer to go around saying it was uncomfortable... ;-p )

Or, as tbaleno suggested, maybe a seat cushion is in order.

Thanks!
Emily

Quick Reply: HCH '06 headrest discomfort

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands