Hauling bike? Backseat? Trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hauling bike? Backseat? Trunk?

So I just bought a new Civic Hybrid. I am also a cyclist and need to transport a bike sometimes.

What's the easiest way for me to carry my bike? I'm hoping someone else has already tried all the options. Take off the front wheel and put it all in the trunk? Or the backseat (with a blanket to keep off the grease marks)?

Of course people have recommended a roof rack, but I'm trying to increase my FE, not ruin it!

Thanks for all suggestions.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hauling bike? Backseat? Trunk?

I have a trunk mount bike carrier I purchased over 13 years ago. It works very well. I used it with my old Civic. It mounts with straps to the back of your trunk. When you do not need it, you remove the unit. Very light weight and folds so it does occupy space in your house.

I don't remember the brand but any bike shop should carry something similar.

Hope this helps!!

PS: If you live in MD I can sell it to you. (Hopefully I can use the words "sell" here on the forum)

Old 12-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Just me...

I also just bought a civic hybrid, and I am an avid mountain biker. The problem is, I'm just over 6 feet tall, and so my bike is pretty big--especially since it has the 29-inch wheels. I would have a very hard time fitting the bike inside the car. And due to it's geometry (full-suspension), I have a hard time mounting it on a trunk rack (the kind arbittan mentioned). I do have an adapter (http://yakima.com/Consumer/ProductPo...002531&sPart2= ) to get the bike on the hitch rack (http://yakima.com/Consumer/ProductPo...002403&sPart2= ) that I use on my pickup, but using that adapter with a trunk rack on this car would get my bike tires dangerously close to the ground. So the only option left for me, really, is to invest in a roof rack system. If you don't have the same restrictions I do, a trunk rack may be the best way for you to go.

I would say take a look at Yakima or Thule's websites, as they have a wide variety of products, which can at least help you get an idea of what would work. Alternatively, you could check your local bike shop, and see what they would suggest. Nashbar usually has some pretty good deals on bike equipment/racks as well.

Happy biking!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Luckily my frames are just 54cm and I only have the 26" wheels.

Obviously I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping the easiest thing for me will be to throw a sheet over the back seat, take the front wheel off, and lay it all in the back. If that doesn't work I'll just have to do the trunk rack thing.

Oh how I wish it came with a folding rear seat!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I mounted a trailer receiver on the back of my HCH2. I mount the rack on the receiver. Very good set up. The rear hitch cost 110.00 dallars. I got the heavy duty one so that I can pull my utility trailer. H

Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 PM

I would say put them on the top or the back. I know one user (Kristian) put his on the top and it works well for him.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
I would say put them on the top or the back. I know one user (Kristian) put his on the top and it works well for him.
Yeah, the top is the best way I think. I have a very heavy and $$$ bike and after owning a trunk mount in college, I don't think I would trust a strap on rack. Plus the trunk rack and bike kinda messed up the paint on my mom's car...

When the HCH was primarily my wife's car, I would take off my Yakima rack when we weren't using it, but now that it is "my" car, I've been leaving it on. It took less than 5 minutes to put on and take off so it wasn't a big deal, but now I'm lazy. I keep meaning to do some analysis on the FE impact of driving with an unloaded rack in city driving.

Here is a picture I took in Rocky Mountain NP last summer. We drove 400 miles that day and averaged 52.4mpg.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Hauling bike? Backseat? Trunk?

I'm giving up my Volvo station wagon, which easily held my BikeE recumbent with fairing, and am really sunk for transporting the bike by HCH. I may consider buying a Draftsmaster rack, which is perfect for recumbents, but I'm wary of trunk mounts, and don't like the idea of wind drag with a roof mount.

Good news is that my wedgie (conventional bike) is a Dahon (http://dahon.com) and easily folds up and fits in the trunk. Dahon has some great bikes, in my humble opinion.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by chkuttner
I'm giving up my Volvo station wagon, which easily held my BikeE recumbent with fairing, and am really sunk for transporting the bike by HCH. I may consider buying a Draftsmaster rack, which is perfect for recumbents, but I'm wary of trunk mounts, and don't like the idea of wind drag with a roof mount.

Good news is that my wedgie (conventional bike) is a Dahon (http://dahon.com) and easily folds up and fits in the trunk. Dahon has some great bikes, in my humble opinion.
Draftmasters rock! Although I think they would still have a draft on the HCH since they are so tall. Just be very careful taking your car in for service since there was an interweb rumor* about someone having their transmission warrantey voided because they put a hitch mount (for bikes) on their HCH because you aren't supposed to tow anything.

*I read about that on this site but forget the specifics and am too lazy to search.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
Draftmasters rock! Although I think they would still have a draft on the HCH since they are so tall. Just be very careful taking your car in for service since there was an interweb rumor* about someone having their transmission warrantey voided because they put a hitch mount (for bikes) on their HCH because you aren't supposed to tow anything.
I had the same suspicions that, even if I didn't haul more than a bike, it would look as though I were pulling a trailer. Plus I worry about the weight that far back in a suspension not designed for it.

Draftmaster also has a top-of-car carrier that mounts on a Yakima or whatever. But for now, I'll just have to be content with riding my wedgie if I have to transport a bike somewhere.

I will repeat again my recommendation of Dahon bikes. I have no conflict of interest issues, just am a happy rider. I'd be happier if they made a recumbent...and yes, I know Bike Friday makes the SatRDay. Too bad it costs more than some of the cars I've bought new. (well, that was a VW Rabbit in 1976...)

For those interested in bikes and hybrids, do note that there is power-assist@yahoogroups.com The perfect hybrid is a bike with electric assist....and there are even some that have regenerative braking, although they don't do it very well.

Quick Reply: Hauling bike? Backseat? Trunk?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands