Halfway throught the first tank, a bit disillusioned

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Halfway throught the first tank, a bit disillusioned

Don't get me worng, I love this car. I have been tryingvery hard to learn to drive conservatively and think I am doing pretty well, but my overall mpg is about 39mpg. I was really hoping for 45 mpg. I set one of the trips each day since I can still keep the lifetime on the other. When I fill up the forst time, I will not be able ot do this. The best day I have managed so far is 42mpg. I only travel 20 to 30 miles a day and my neighborhood is very hilly.

I have read the article here on how to get the best mileage. Is my experience average for a new driver?

Clay

Old 05-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Halfway throught the first tank, a bit disillusioned

Keep that chin up mate! I can almost promise that you will get better mileage in the future. You will learn your car better and drive better. The first tank is the lowest for a lot of people.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Clay,
I have have my CVT for about two weeks and am experiencing similar mileage. I found out today on a trip with passengers that that will cut mileage 2-4 MPG on highway. I have also had the occasion to drive four or so other new Civic hybrids on 100-160 mile trips and all got in low 40s. Now all were new ones. I have been told, but do not know if or how much the mileage will increase over time. I really find it hard to believe some of the mileage claims on this site. They may be doing it but I would have to see it to believe it. In my case, I have slowed down and watch my driving, but I do not plan to go to any extremes to squeeze a mile or two more from a gallon. When I decided to get a HCH, I only planned for around 40 mph based on experience and that seems to be in realm of reality. At any rate it beats the heck out of my 17-20 mpg truck I was driving and I am happy.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Site Founder

Haha, first tank? Don't worry about it. It'll take you at least a thousand miles to get used to how your car drives, and probably a few more before you learn to drive it efficiently. It will come.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by DTDRIVER
They may be doing it but I would have to see it to believe it.

Got an even better tank on video if you don't believe the pic.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:46 PM

Take a look at my car. Just click on the banner in the tag line to see where I started at.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Site Founder

Wow, Tom. That's really quite a jump, there.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clayk
Is my experience average for a new driver?
Yes, absolutely.

My first tank started out just below 40, then ended around 42. My next tanks ended around 44. Now I'm regularly having tanks in the range of 47-49.

Part of that is climate.
Part of that is driving roughly the speed limit (rather than +5mph)
Part of that is inflating my tires from ~32psi to ~38psi.

Those are the only real changes for me. I don't really do anything special, or play any tricks; I just drive the speed limit and sensibly.

My advice would be to give it some time. So far I have convinced two co-workers to purchase HCH's, and they both love them, and are now getting between 46-50mpg.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

One thing that helped me a lot is pumping up the tires. The HCH tires come from the lot at around 30psi, so as to give a bit of a more cushy ride due to underinflated tires. the tires are rated to handle 50psi safely however, so if where you live has nice, well-maintained roads (no potholes or extended trips over gravel/unpaved roads) then you can get a big mileage benefit by pumping the tires up to 40-45psi. I actually prefer the higher pressure myself, the car feels a lot more responsive during turns and I have a better feel for the road. The ride is still plenty comfortable, I haven't received any complaints from passengers about it.

Another thing is with hills is that you will improve a lot with practice. The key is to watch the CHRG/ASST bars and feather the throttle so that you don't go into "forced charge" going uphill, also, anticipate stops and 'tap' on the brake lightly a long way back, just so much that you get almost full CHRG without applying the brake pads. You will get replenish the battery a lot more, whcih helps. Over familiar routes, you'll get a feeling for the subtleties of how to drive based on how much charge you have in the battery and mileage will improve. I've gotten good driving up and down the hill where I live, to the point where I can actually feel the electric boost/charge kick in, and respond accordingly even without looking.

I allow myself pick up speed when the incline is at a lower grade, and "coast" up the steeper grade portions. When cresting the hills, I apply the assist. I also allow myself to roll to a stop that's on an incline rather than slowing using the brake. Keeping a close to steady throttle level, with some "feathering" will be the most efficient.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouragement. I find myself creeping around a lot, going lower than the speed limit. Is it best to just drive the speed limit and not worry so much. Should I just anticipate stops and starts, accelerate moderatley, coast when I can, etc.?

Quick Reply: Halfway throught the first tank, a bit disillusioned

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands