Groaning read drums and more ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Groaning read drums and more ...

Hi all, Let me first say, I love driving my new car. I think the technology in it is just so cool. I love saying, temperature 70, or radio preset 6 (just wish everything was hooked up to the voice recog). I'd love to say headlights on, windshield wiper speed 4 - or something like that. I've put about 150 miles on my car since getting it saturday and wanted to ask a question. Are the groaning rear drum brakes just seating themselves? I took my foot of the brakes today at a stop light and thought the older green civic behind me hit me cuz they were making so much racket.

The car is so smooth other then those brakes. I love the quasi-ev mode. I can pretty much hold it all the way through my track. It's awesome to be cruising at 15mph on my little sidestreets knowing your not using any gas

Oooh and wanted everyone to know, I bought the 6-in-1 pc card reader from bestbuy and popped my treo formatted (it's just fat32 from what i've read) sd card into it and voila the mp3s worked

Jayson

Old 05-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Groaning read drums and more ...

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new car. Like you, I also get a kick out of the voice recognition as well as enjoying "cruzin" my street in stealth mode as I return home.

Unfortunately I can't say I have anything like you described on the brakes. In fact, other than a slight noise of the engine restarting, I don't hear anything coming out of an auto-stop. I have had mine for about 10 days so it is kind of brand new also.

Hope it's not problem but just a break-in groan.

Good luck,

Dan

Old 05-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Probably nothing to worry about, I believe my HCH II made some weird noises for the first 250 miles or so....but if you are concerned, stop by your dealership.

Heck, your salesperson should still be willing to jump through hoops to make sure you are happy. A quick check with a service guy should take no more than 10-15 minutes and will give you piece of mind.

My opinion:
It's my car - I paid a lot of my hard-earned money for it - I want it to be perfect when it's brand new, and if it's not - I want it fixed!

Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

I've had mine for just over a month now and have not noticed any similar noises. It just might be worth a quick trip to the dealer to explore.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would say go to the dealer. We never had any brake noise.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've got 10,000 miles on mine, and from time to time, the brakes DO groan when I FIRST start the car and take off. Kinda sucks if you ask me. I might get it checked out when I take it to the dealer for this other problem I'm having with it.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Groaning read drums and more ...

Very simple question:

Is your parking brake on (even just one click up-my old Acura Integra '95 and Civic '83 could engage with just a small click)? Double check. The parking brake only locks the rear brakes, not the front. Also, if that is not the case, have the dealer check both the brakes and also that the parking brake cable is set correctly. If it was misadjusted it could be eating your rear drums rather quickly.

When we test drove our '06 Civic Hybrid (picking it up Friday) we found that it had no noticable sounds except for the starting engine from a standstill.

Take the car in and make sure the technician takes a drive with you. Let the car cooldown a bit before taking it out so you can duplicate the startup condiditons as best as possible.

Modern drums (an oxymoron) shouldn't need to seat.

Michael

Old 05-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nope, no parking brake on. It just sounds like something is sticking when I let off the brake pedal. I can easily replicate the problem. It does it regardless of whether the car & brakes are warmed up or not. I could go out to my car right now, start it up, press on the brake, let go and hear the noise. Come to think of it, groaning isn't the right word, I'd say low pitched creaking. It's like (and I'm only assuming the HCH has auto adjusters on its drums) but it's like the auto adjusters are adjusted to tight. It's only when I let go of the brake pedal.

Jayson

Old 05-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

From what my Acura service advisor told me (as I was getting my brakes replaced on my outgoing 2003 TL-S) Drum Brakes today are not self-adjusting. He's a no BS guy.

Definitely take it to the dealer and have them take a ride to hear it. Then have them put it on the lift. It's possible something went out of kilter when it came off the transporter. I'd be very surprised if the brakes were out of kilter otherwise.

Good luck and let us know what happens,

Michael