Got mine! (LONG post)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Got mine! (LONG post)

With Apologies to Tiger - I WIN!

Tis the end of an era, yes - my beloved Insight is now sitting at Leesburg Honda in Leesburg, Virginia. In my pocket is the key for a brand new 2006 HCH II (Magnetic Pearl w/Navi).
It was time to let it go...at 135k miles, it was starting to 'nickel and dime' me every time I took it in for service. The kids (I have 3 boys) are getting bigger and getting involved in more after-school activities, making a 2-seater just too impractical. Plus it had developed an ominous 'creaking' sound coming from somewhere in the suspension. Might have just been a loose clamp or maybe a bad strut (cheap), but it could also have been something much more serious ($$$).

Anyway - if you care to read on, here's my whole HCH II buying 'story':

==========================================

I started trying to purchase my HCH (note "TRYING") back in October of 2005. I knew they hadn't been released yet, but figured I could jump the gun, get it ordered and take delivery after Jan 1 (for the tax break). So I ordered the car from a local dealer - Magnetic Pearl w/Navigation - no problem, we found one we can get for you - it should be here in late December.

Christmas rolls around and I get a phone call "your Civic is here, you can stop by to test drive it and we'll schedule time after the 1st for delivery". Cool...I happened to have a day off between Christmas and New Year's so I take a drive down. I arrive to find out my sales person is no longer with the company (uh-oh) - but a nice gentleman say's he'll have the car pulled around to the front.

So...this nice new HCH II w/Nav pulls up - the only problem is that it's Galaxy Gray, NOT Magnetic Pearl. Ok, I'm not really that picky, they are somewhat close - but I really wanted the blue interior, which comes w/MP, as opposed to the all-tan of the Galaxy Gray.

"This is not the car I ordered", I said to them.

"Well, let me check with the sales manager, since I wasn't here when you ordered it."

Ok...fair enough

<10 minutes later>

"Ok, the sales manager said that this color was the only one we could get for you, and it was your second choice, so we got it".

Ok...back up...hold the phone...time out. Now I'm getting pi$$ed.

"I did NOT give a 'second choice' color - why would I?? I ORDERED this car 3 months ago, I shouldn't need to give you a second choice color".

"Well, sorry - that's the one we got for you".

So, on I go to the 2nd dealer (or Round 2) on December 30th.

They at least have an HCH on the lot (no Nav, in white) so I get to take a test drive. Nice salesguy, a bit of a 'fast talker', but friendly.

So, I order a MP HCH w/Nav from them. They say they will try to do a dealer locate, and if they can't - they'll order one for me. If they order, it takes 100 days.

Ok, no problem - I guess I can wait another 3 months.

<fast-forward to yesterday...time is running short, I want this car NOW

- and I wanted to get Honda's 4.9% financing if possible (ends today 2/28)>

Called them to check on the status of the order.
I now know from speaking with others (thanks to Green Hybrid.com) that when a car is ordered, the dealer will get a 'build date' at some point within the first couple of weeks, followed by a VIN number at some point later in the process.

Me: "Hi, any ETA on that Civic I ordered?"

SP: "Nope, not yet"

Me: "ok...did you get a build-date or a VIN number or anything yet?"

Sp: "Nope, I won't know until about 3-4 days before the car arrives"

Me: "ok, but it is ordered and we are still on schedule?"

Sp: "Yep, probably be about 2-3 months yet".

So...this pleasant exchange leads me to Round 3 - THE INTERNET I started checking dealer inventory, no MP w/Nav to be found in South-Central PA or MD. Found a Galaxy Gray w/Nav available on a lot in Frederick MD (about 2 hours away for me) and a MP w/o Nav at another lot in Baltimore. So, as I'm pondering whether I want the Nav, or the color I really want, my sister IM's me (we chat about once a month):

Sis: "Hey, did you get your Civic yet?"

Me: "NO! " (and I go on to explain what I'm debating and what I'm doing).

Sis: "Want me to check any of the dealers around me? " (She's in northern Virginia)

Me: "Sure, I guess"

Sis: "Ok, calling first one".....holy <expletive>...they have one sitting on a truck in the parking lot.

Me: "WHAT"

Sis: "Yep, Mag Pearl w/Navi - salesperson says my timing is incredible - they got 2 on the truck and one is already spoken for"

============================================

So....I called the dealer, spoke to the sales guy, gave him a CC # for deposit and drove 2.5 hours (each way) last night to Leesburg, Virginia to pick up my shiny new Magnetic Pearl HCH II w/Nav.

I paid MSRP - they had a $700 'market adjustment' on it because of the color/nav option, which they promptly removed.

The Sales Manager at the dealership even gave me a fair trade-in on my Insight, and he seemed genuinely excited to have an Insight on his lot.

Even with 135k miles, he was planning on detailing it and parking it up front on the lot. I think he was intending on using it more for advertising than for sale. He said they hadn't seen an Insight in about a year, and the last one someone ordered they had to go all the way to South Dakota to find. Northern VA is probably the hottest Hybrid sales area on the east coast, I have no doubt my Insight will be gone shortly.

Since 9:30 last night, I've put over 200 miles on the HCHII (at 44MPG).

So far it's really nice, different, but nice. It doesn't have the same 'interaction' that the Insight did when driving - other than the fact that you can talk to it. :p I think it's the smoother ride and CVT transmission. I almost skidded pulling into the driveway last night...tried to push in the clutch...hit the brake. :-/

What have I learned? Three things:

1) Stick to your guns, dealerships exist to serve customers - not the other way around - don't be bullied by the sales staff. There are plenty of dealerships, what's a one-time 5 hour commute to have the car you want for 6-7 years?

2) Research, research, research - Nothing beats a good 'user group'

online. There's almost always someone who has BTDT before you.

3) It's your money - get what you want. If you are willing to wait (or

travel) someone out there will work with you.

4) Honda makes a darn fine automobile. If you haven't seen/driven the

'06 Civics (Hybrid or not) and you like Honda's - check one out, you'll be pleasantly surprised by fit and finish - even if you don't happen to care for the style.

Jim

'06 HCH II

MP w/Nav

44LMPG

'01 Insight #939 <- Gone but not forgotten 5-spd MCB

58.7 LMPG

Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got mine! (LONG post)

Congrats on your HCH II! I'm glad that you got the exact car that you wanted. My Dad ordered the exact car and he'll be waiting a few weeks.

I would be interested in hearing your feedback after swtitching from your Insight to your HCH II.

Last edited by Renato; 02-28-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by JimHolmgren

1) Stick to your guns, dealerships exist to serve customers - not the other way around - don't be bullied by the sales staff. There are plenty of dealerships, what's a one-time 5 hour commute to have the car you want for 6-7 years?
Jim, I cannot agree with you more. I am 44, so I guess that makes me old fashion, so I buck the trend that it is OK to pay for convenience. If the closest dealer does not treat you the way you want to be treated or wants to capitalize on the fact they are the closest dealer and have the car of your dreams on their lot and therefore they are going to charge you a higher price...go elsewhere !

I have friends that continue to do business with the same dealer, although they have moved, some several hours away, because the dealer treats them right (good service, good price, etc).

Anyway, Enjoy your "Pearl" Jim ! I have the same car, minus the Navi (I use mine mostly for commuting and believe me I know where I am going!)

Old 02-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jim,

Congrats. Sorry to hear our local York, PA dealers couldn't come through for you! I bought my silver (no NAV) Hybrid from Hanover Honda about 3 weeks ago. They had 5 on the lot then! Every color Honda makes, but I don't think any of them had NAV. Good luck with it and I'll look for you while I'm roaming around town!

Eric

Old 02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by williaea
Jim,

Congrats. Sorry to hear our local York, PA dealers couldn't come through for you! I bought my silver (no NAV) Hybrid from Hanover Honda about 3 weeks ago. They had 5 on the lot then! Every color Honda makes, but I don't think any of them had NAV. Good luck with it and I'll look for you while I'm roaming around town!

Eric
Thanks Eric. Funny you should mention Hanover Honda...they were dealer #1 in my story. When I canceled the sale, the sales manager gave me some grief over not being able to move an HCH w/Navi. Somehow I doubt he had much trouble getting rid of it.

You can look for me driving up and down I-83 from York (Prospect St exit) to Baltimore on a daily basis.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, you're probably right Jim. I just checked their inventory. They have ONE left - versus the 5 they had 3 weeks ago. Guess they're moving the Hybrids pretty well.

Eric

Old 02-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Z71
Enthusiast

Congrats! How come your HCH11 has a clutch and mine doesn't?Hmmm.
Rick

Old 02-28-2006, 05:35 PM
amf
amf

Originally Posted by JimHolmgren
With Apologies to Tiger - I WIN!

Ok...back up...hold the phone...time out. Now I'm getting pi$$ed.

"I did NOT give a 'second choice' color - why would I?? I ORDERED this car 3 months ago, I shouldn't need to give you a second choice color".

"Well, sorry - that's the one we got for you".

Jim,

You did the right thing here. What that dealer did was just plain BS. As a Sales Manager in the business, I would have fired anyone on the spot who intentionally lied to a customer as it appears they did to you in this case.

Congratulations on your new HCH-II w/nav. Look forward to hearing more about your likes/dislikes compared to your old insight.

Last edited by amf; 03-01-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast

Congrats. I too just got my Mag Pearl last Friday and I love it. The cool part is I got custom leather heated seats and they look marvelous! The blue leather #5 recommended by Honda is just perfect and they also did the center armrests and the armrest on the doors with it. Of course the bun warmers are nice too.

My buying experience was perfect. I went in on Jan 27 and they told me they had ordered a Mag Pearl which arrived 3 weeks later. Then they had to prep it and put the custom leather in and the delivery date was just in time for the 4.9 apr. I couldn't have asked for better timing.

Now, I'm experimenting with FE and at the moment getting about 45 mpg. Not bad compared to my Integra GSR which did about 28 mpg. I really look forward to driving my new HCHII for the years to come!

Cheers!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 AM
amf
amf

Originally Posted by manchild
Congrats. I too just got my Mag Pearl last Friday and I love it. The cool part is I got custom leather heated seats and they look marvelous! The blue leather #5 recommended by Honda is just perfect and they also did the center armrests and the armrest on the doors with it. Of course the bun warmers are nice too.

My buying experience was perfect. I went in on Jan 27 and they told me they had ordered a Mag Pearl which arrived 3 weeks later. Then they had to prep it and put the custom leather in and the delivery date was just in time for the 4.9 apr. I couldn't have asked for better timing.

Now, I'm experimenting with FE and at the moment getting about 45 mpg. Not bad compared to my Integra GSR which did about 28 mpg. I really look forward to driving my new HCHII for the years to come!

Cheers!
Congrats on your new Mag Pearl! I have been thinking about adding leather but am torn between choosing blue or a putty color which would match the plastic and fabric colors on the doors. If you have the time to take some pictures of your blue leather and post them I would love to see them!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Got mine! (LONG post)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands