Got to drive a HCH today

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Got to drive a HCH today

This was fun. I am considering a HCH or Prius but don't know if I can afford one, etc. but I know someone who has one and he let me drive it. I really liked it and am looking forward to test driving a Prius. I didn't know what the gauges were so I might try and drive it again now that i know what they all mean.

--des

Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Got to drive a HCH today

Proud new HCH owner here; I originally looked at the Prius but decided against it for 2 reasons:

1. It costs more (bigger tax credit on Civic too)
2. The Toyota hybrid technology is more complicated

The Prius definitely gets better fuel economy for city driving. My commute is mostly highway, so it's a wash as far as I'm concerned.

If price is an issue, the HCH is a better choice. You should be able to get out the door for <23k and you'll get a $2100 tax credit when you file your next return(assuming you live in the US).

The HCH is also a little less flexible when it comes to cargo. The back seats don't fold down, which can be a pain sometimes.

Mechanically, the HCH is very similar to a standard civic. It's a standard automobile with IMA instead of being an electric vehicle with internal combustion motor assist, like the Prius.

I intend to keep the HCH effectively forever, so I like being able to do some maintenance myself. I just don't know enough about electric vehicles to chance working on a Prius.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for your response! Some of these things might matter and some don't. I have heard you all are mortal enemies and even dislike each other more than Hummer drivers. :-) (These are my sworn enemies right now.)
And generally any large SUVs like Yukons and Explorers.

Ok some of these might matter and some don't at all. I will not be servicing my own car. Cost might be a factor but I don't think the cost difference is very much. I do a bit more city driving but it might be close to a wash (in the summer I definitely do more city driving).

My commute goes like this: to work 15 miles-- 2/3rds highway. Weekends-- 5-45 miles 95% city. Summer close to 100% city. I could make my commmute more city if i wished.

Mostly stuff goes in my backseat or trunk. If I really wanted to carry something I ask someone with a truck. I am not able to ride a bike.

I have heard that the HCH handles a bit better, and that the HCH is also much better with larger drivers (I am not one though).

--des

Originally Posted by Madhornist
Proud new HCH owner here; I originally looked at the Prius but decided against it for 2 reasons:

1. It costs more (bigger tax credit on Civic too)
2. The Toyota hybrid technology is more complicated

The Prius definitely gets better fuel economy for city driving. My commute is mostly highway, so it's a wash as far as I'm concerned.

If price is an issue, the HCH is a better choice. You should be able to get out the door for <23k and you'll get a $2100 tax credit when you file your next return(assuming you live in the US).

The HCH is also a little less flexible when it comes to cargo. The back seats don't fold down, which can be a pain sometimes.

Mechanically, the HCH is very similar to a standard civic. It's a standard automobile with IMA instead of being an electric vehicle with internal combustion motor assist, like the Prius.

I intend to keep the HCH effectively forever, so I like being able to do some maintenance myself. I just don't know enough about electric vehicles to chance working on a Prius.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by desdemona
Thanks for your response! Some of these things might matter and some don't. I have heard you all are mortal enemies and even dislike each other more than Hummer drivers. :-) (These are my sworn enemies right now.)

Ok some of these might matter and some don't at all. I will not be servicing my own car. Cost might be a factor but I don't think the cost difference is very much. I do a bit more city driving but it might be close to a wash (in the summer I definitely do more city driving).

My commute goes like this: to work 15 miles-- 2/3rds highway. Weekends-- 5-45 miles 95% city. Summer close to 100% city. I could make my commmute more city if i wished.

Mostly stuff goes in my backseat or trunk. If I really wanted to carry something I ask someone with a truck. I am not able to ride a bike.

I have heard that the HCH handles a bit better, and that the HCH is also much better with larger drivers (I am not one though).

--des
Yes, we are the sworn enemy of the evil Prius! May death come swiftly to it's cheesy Atkinson engine! ::maniacal laughter::

Hehe... in all honesty, the ribbing you see between owners of the HCH and the TPH is all in good fun. Well, usually, anyways. For the first few years, all your servicing will likely be done at the dealership, since just about everything short of light bulbs burning out and routine maintenance like oil changes will be a warranty issue. You don't give any speeds for the commute segments, but based on the percentages, I'd think the Prius would do you a little better than the Civic, especially since you say you're not a larger driver.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:41 AM

Be careful considering the tax credits. If you fall under the alternative minimum tax provision you won't get it. I don't know what the cutoff for that is, but many people have bought a hybrid thinking they are going to get a tax credit only to find out the ol' AMT meant they got nothing. Ask your tax advisor, or research the subject more before relying on it.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

And another consideration is Style and Comfort.

I prefer the Style of a Sedan. The "futuristic" Prius does nothing for me personally BUT I found the head room and airyness of the Prius quite nice as well the placement of the battery allows for more storage in the Prius.

Two completely different vehicles in my opinion and also not enough of a MPG difference to make a decision based on FE.

Pick your preference of style and comfort. Toyota and Honda are both top drawer.

Cheers!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by desdemona

--des
It seems that you're driving mostly in the city, so the Prius should be a better car for you than the HCHII, because the HCHII lacks the all-electric mode that the Prius has. That will come in very handy in the city, as you will be (at least in real-time) not using any gas if you can stay in all-electric mode.

I have a HCH and drive mostly on the highway, so it makes sense for me. I also enjoy its lower ride and consequently better handling, as I travel on a bit of hilly, twisty roads.

However, I will testify from experience that the Prius is definitely more cramped and uncomfortable in the backseat than the Civic when there's three (3) people in the back, YET the Prius can definitely carry larger stuff with its folding rear-seats and hatch-like trunk. The Civic can't fold its rear seats down because the battery's in the way. It's a tradeoff there.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

LOL! This one landed in my in box today which was kind of funny. I did get a good laugh over it.

The speeds: highway are 55-70 though the stretches that i go on are mostly 55-65, we have some construction going on (why would that surprise anybody?). I stay in the speed limit. City is 35-40 mph. There are a lot of roads with 40 mph and lots of stop signs (they even have cameras on them). Small roads are 25-30.

I would not make a decision based on tax credits because I have heard these are changes, so are not, therefore guaranteed.

I rarely have backseat passengers. I don't carry stuff more than the usual teacher type stuff for the most part (backpack, stuff with papers that kind of stuff, etc.).

I like futuristic and am kind of a geek. But I do like nice handling. I have heard the handling on the HCH is better. I think I would be very happy with either car.

--des

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Yes, we are the sworn enemy of the evil Prius! May death come swiftly to it's cheesy Atkinson engine! ::maniacal laughter::

Hehe... in all honesty, the ribbing you see between owners of the HCH and the TPH is all in good fun. Well, usually, anyways. For the first few years, all your servicing will likely be done at the dealership, since just about everything short of light bulbs burning out and routine maintenance like oil changes will be a warranty issue. You don't give any speeds for the commute segments, but based on the percentages, I'd think the Prius would do you a little better than the Civic, especially since you say you're not a larger driver.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

Good luck with your test drive, Des. If you think you will be happy with either, you will be

Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Why not go for the fit and save a ton of money that way?

Quick Reply: Got to drive a HCH today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands