Gear shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Gear shifter problem

I've noticed and it's gotten progressively worse an issue where the gear shifter seems to slip out of position enough that the car won't start. I have to hold the shift all the way forward and start the car with my left hand. It's like the car thinks it's not in park. Don't happen all the time but seems more prevalent in the morning. It doesn't happen as much in the afternoon or evening. Anyone else have this problem and what did the dealer do to repair it? I'm having it looked at Friday when I go in for my 20,000 mile checkup and recall work.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gear shifter problem

Hi Peggy,
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the "neutral safety switch" might not be set right. I'm not suggesting you try this, but if it was me, I would pull out the tab or "little door" next to the gear shift. This is the shift release. I would push my key into and move the shifter back and forth. It is designed to allow you to "unlock" your shifter when it becomes stuck.

This may realign it, or it may not help at all.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gear shifter problem

Originally Posted by Wangofree
Hi Peggy,
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the "neutral safety switch" might not be set right. I'm not suggesting you try this, but if it was me, I would pull out the tab or "little door" next to the gear shift. This is the shift release. I would push my key into and move the shifter back and forth. It is designed to allow you to "unlock" your shifter when it becomes stuck.

This may realign it, or it may not help at all.
The problem turned out to be the trans range selector switch.. whatever that is.. it was having intermittent failures.... the dealer had to order the part because he said he's never seen one go out... maybe but i had the same problem with the cr-v but never worried about it because it wasn't as bad..