Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Gas Tank

I thought I read in my book that my 2006 HCH had an 11.9 gallon gas tank. I keep seeing people saying that their tank is 12.4 gallons? Which is correct? Also, when I fill my tank, should I stop at the first "click" (which I have been doing) or try and top off the tank? (How much more gas will it hold?)

Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas Tank

I fill up to first click only when the car is going to be parked for awhile after fill-up. When traveling I top it right up until it stays there. You will be suprised how much extra you can get into that tank. Takes along time too drop one pip. H

Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

That's probably what I need to do. I've been stopping at the first click to try and be consistant so when I do the math on my mpg........

Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwwest
That's probably what I need to do. I've been stopping at the first click to try and be consistant so when I do the math on my mpg........

Thanks
Also try and always use the same gas station if you can, some stations have their pumps first click set at slightly different settings.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwwest

Thanks

You should base your mpg by the number of gallons you fill up with by the number of miles driven.

380 miles / 10 gallons = 38 mpg.

This will give you the most accurate reading. Going by the tank size is inaccurate. Also, once the auto-stop on the pump engages, you should stop pumping gas. If you do not, it could lead to spillage.

It was common in the old days when we didn't have vapor recovery systems on the pumps that people would round up to the next dollar so they could give gas stations the correct amount without coming back for change. (There was a time that credit cards were not accepted at gas stations ).

When you continue to pump gas with vapor recovery, it recirculates into the hose and can then spill out once the vaccuum seal is broke (removed from your gas intake).