Is the fuel filter a regular maintenance item?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is the fuel filter a regular maintenance item?

I see no mention of it in the maintenance schedule. In the service manual is says to replace it if the fuel pressure output is low. Before that happens, and possibly reducing the life of the pump, isn’t it a good idea to replace at least around 100,000 miles like where my car is at? It looks rather simple to do in the manual. Just remove the access panel under the rear seat and pull out the pump and filter unit and replace the filter. Anybody done this yet?

Old 12-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is the fuel filter a regular maintenance item?

I've always replaced fuel filters ever 50,000 miles as a preventive measure. I've only had one clog to the point of affecting power. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
"Manalo"

Is the fuel filter located near the fuel pump? Thought it would be located under the hood or maybe underneath the car like most conventional cars. I have an 06 HCII and maybe dosen't apply too me, but since its a hybrid it could be different. Let me know if this is correct

Old 02-19-2007, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast

On my '03 it was in the tank under the rear seat.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Is the fuel filter a regular maintenance item?

Originally Posted by atikovi
I see no mention of it in the maintenance schedule. In the service manual is says to replace it if the fuel pressure output is low. Before that happens, and possibly reducing the life of the pump, isn’t it a good idea to replace at least around 100,000 miles like where my car is at? It looks rather simple to do in the manual. Just remove the access panel under the rear seat and pull out the pump and filter unit and replace the filter. Anybody done this yet?
.................................................. ................................................

Being a Maintenance Manager for a fleet, I'm accustom to changing filters, I was really upset with the fact that the filter is in the tank.
I have seen many fuel filters that have needed to be changed because thay were really restricted @ 20,000 miles.
So what do you do for maintenance? I guess take it to the dealer & pay the price to pull the tank unit out & replace the filter @ an expensive visit. I also have a S2K 2005 model & when I got it the book said the same thing. Change the fuel filter when the fuel pressure is low, and the filter is U GUESSED IT in the tank. Happy Motoring!

Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
"Manalo"

Geeez what a task! I've replaced a fuel pump before with a high pressure one when I use to have a 99 Si, but never came across having the fuel filter there as well. I guess if you're going to do this task yourself I would suggest opening all the doors and work in a well ventilated area and make sure not to spill any gas onto your interior....

Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

So what do you do for maintenance? I guess take it to the dealer & pay the price to pull the tank unit out & replace the filter @ an expensive visit.
No need to pull the tank. Just pull out the back seat bottom (1 minute), remove the access cover (1 minute), disconnect some connectors and lines (2 minutes), unscrew the big diameter nut (2 minutes), remove the pump assembly to the bench (3 minutes), transfer new filter to pump (15 minutes), reverse the last steps (10 minutes).

Whole job takes about half an hour. Beats crawling under a car in freezing weather to remove rusted fittings and getting gasoline spraying all over your arms and in your face.

Last edited by atikovi; 03-01-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Is the fuel filter a regular maintenance item?

Originally Posted by atikovi
It isnt in the glovebox manual, only in the service manual. After you pull the combination out of the tank, it is a nice package- of a sock filter, a filter, a gauge & computor sending unit & a fuel pump all packaged together.
Now I have replace a couple pumps because (we believe since the driver drove a lot with the tank near empty the pump was overheated) the pump failed.
I have not seen the unit in My Civic but the one in the manual for the S2K looks quite large & I can see why they say not to worry for an extended period of miles. So the Honda Civic Hybrid should go at least 100,000 miles without changing. But don’t forget as long as the engine is running the pump is pumping & the filter is filtering because what fuel that isn’t used goes back to the tank to be re filtered again.