Fixing Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fixing Scratches

I finally scratched my car, unintentionally of course. I was parking on the side of the street in a very small space in front of a truck that was lifted. As my rear bumper approached the truck's front bumper I heard a small crackling noise and immediatley I knew what had happened. Long story short, my back bumper has a small scratch now, about an inch or two in length. I went over to the local Kragen to see if they had any quickfixes for my car but I couldn't find my particular color in their selection of "duplicolor" products. Does anyone know if there even is a color for my particular car or something else that might fix that small scratch. I own a '05 Magnisium Metallic and I'm just looking for something that's cheap. You can't even really tell that there's a scratch there (but I can).

Old 09-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Fixing Scratches

Last week I gashed the front bumper of my 05 magnesium. I've got a couple of appointments next week; I'll try to get some details on aftermarket touchup paint and post 'em...

Old 09-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Ez, I'll be waiting.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: Fixing Scratches

I scratched the lowest part of my front bumper (almost can't see it unless you are squatting down in front and angling head downward) but it bothers me. I went to the local dealership and one tube of paint for minor repairs of that type costs $7. That's it.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Vegetarian

i got a small bottle, kinda like nail polish, of touch up paint when i bought my car.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

My "local" dealership is about 120 miles away so it's kind of hard for me to go and buy paint from them. I did go to Pep-Boys yesterday though and I asked them for some scratch fixing paint. they asked for the color I was looking and the guy there told me that Dupli-color, which was the brand they handle for fixing scratches, didn't usually name their paint as automakers named their colors (Eternal Blue Pearl, Opal Silver Blue Metallic, Magnisium Metallic) but rather that they just named the basic color like Blue, Gray or White. So he asked me for my color, went to look at my car outside and then gave me a tube from Duplicolor which reads "HA 00971 Satin Silver Metallic. NH623M Honda" The thing cost me around 5 bucks but I still need to try it on the car, I'll keep you guys post it on how the repair went.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I painted scratches with the paint the guy over at Pepboys gave me... not the same color as the car though. The one he gave me is much lighter then the magnesium, it's silverish, so I guess my quest goes on.