FAS question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FAS question

Have you tried gassing it a bit before putting it in gear? Like with double clutching, I find it goes into gear smoother when you gas it up to the expected rpm's before switching the cvt from N to D.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast

with the engine off, you cannot give it gas

Old 10-13-2005, 04:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sorry about the cvt bucking.

As for brakes and FAS our Accord will hold brake vacume for power assist for 2 miles or better and thats with some use. ABS will still function so I FAS away in a vain attempt to lessen the wifes FE distruction. The Ranger also behaves very well on FAS.

So take the car out. Play with it. Understand the brakeing system. Play with turning the wheel with no power steering. Get a grasp of your driving skills and your ablity to control the car and enjoy!

I have a 2 mile FAS on the drive home that almost makes going to work worth it. 3/4 of a mile down hill with switch backs. Its a BLAST. Coasting at 70 mph thru them with no ICE. Then hit the flat and roll it out for another 1 1/4 mile. I hate it when I run up on a slower car with ICE on. Stab the brakes,, say bad things to myself, restart ICE.

Dont fear the ICE,, Work it baby work it!!!
poor cvt's

Old 10-13-2005, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by martyllian
duh, after you turn it back on i mean.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by zimbop
duh, after you turn it back on i mean.
Problem is that it's turning the engine on that causes the problem, not shifting back to D.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:04 AM

I see. I don't do FAS so I thought you meant when shifting into gear. Makes sense though, it uses the electric motor for a starter right so that involves the cvt to restart I guess.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:53 PM
my other car is a FJORD

so, have i been misunderstanding the pulse & glide part of this? and maybe this isn't even related to this thread, but it was here and seemed close.

anyhow, i have been accelerating up to speed up the hills, and then coasting down, however i have been leaving it in gear. tonight i decided to try going down the hills with the clutch pushed in. much different results......coasted longer, and it seemed that after i let the clutch out and the engine came back to speed, the FE stayed higher than before. anyone else experienced this? i really don't want to turn the car off, but with a manual transmission i would think riding down with the clutch in would be pretty close?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by martyllian
You are push starting a CVT correct?

Don't do that!!!!

If you are going to FAS you CVT guys need to start your car up again with the key, match revs and then put it back in gear......

or you could trade your CVT in on a nice manual.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by laurie
so, have i been misunderstanding the pulse & glide part of this? and maybe this isn't even related to this thread, but it was here and seemed close.

anyhow, i have been accelerating up to speed up the hills, and then coasting down, however i have been leaving it in gear. tonight i decided to try going down the hills with the clutch pushed in. much different results......coasted longer, and it seemed that after i let the clutch out and the engine came back to speed, the FE stayed higher than before. anyone else experienced this? i really don't want to turn the car off, but with a manual transmission i would think riding down with the clutch in would be pretty close?
Riding the clutch is not a good idea. If you don't want to do a full FAS you can just put the car in "N" and coast that way. Riding the clutch is hard on the throw out mechanism.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Schwa
Problem is that it's turning the engine on that causes the problem, not shifting back to D.
Actually I think the problem is that the OP is push starting by shifting to D.

Quick Reply: FAS question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands