Epitaph for my Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:29 AM
hyperactive enthusiast
Unhappy Epitaph for my Explorer

The Explorer is gone, long live the Honda.

The vehicle donation guy just came and drove it away. I am torn between depression of seeing an old reliable friend and piece of our history go, and being excited about the new car. I very much like the new hybrid, but it's really different than the explorer- I won't be bombing through the snow, regattaing, camping, carrying hay bales & lumber or going kayaking with the honda.
I guess I'm just being silly.
still - it's sad, like watching the house getting torn down- even if you are excited about the new construction to come.
That Explorer has been with us for 14 years, from driving it off the dealers lot, through my first pregnancy to my oldest daughters teenager-hood. Through diaperbags & carseats, portacribs & boosterseats, sunshades, camping gear, snowstorms & skiis, wet sails & regattas, soccerballs, & roller hockey bags of gear, oh and girlscouts- let us not forget a car full of gossiping girls. Adventures large & small. I stuck long lumber through the windshield twice- oops. It’s towed the boat to Canada, Tennesee, and Cape Cod innumerable times. I could stick the kayak in it-or on it.
It was always reliable, and never left us stuck. And while it has turned into a rusty bomb, that really rattles & clunks a lot more than I’m comfortable with – I will remember it with fondness.as one of the icons of our life & style for the last decade & more. How American.
The Explorer was my 3rd car: 71 TR6, 88 F250 pickup, 91 Explorer, and now an 05 Civic Hybrid. Interesting progression through to my current midlife emotional trauma over a stupid mechanical vehicle.
Stop whining and suck it up- I have a brand new HCH that I love already.
I wonder if I can borrow my husbands jeep to go kayaking this spring…….

Old 03-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know the feeling. When I graduated from College I bought an 87 Honda Accord. I drove that car until Aug 2004 when I traded for the HCH. It was hard to leave the dealership and leave *MY CAR* on the lot while I drove this stand in.

We (my wife and I) have bought three other vehicles since I bought the 87, but that was the only car I ever bought by myself.

Billy

Old 03-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up

The Ford Family
From small to large:

Ford Escape
Ford Explorer
Ford Expedidtion
Ford Excursion
Ford Exploitation.

I suggested Ford call their largest the Exploitation.
I can't imagine why they didn't answer my email.

You have forsaken the dark side.
Welcome to the light side.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Site Founder

Originally Posted by kenny
I suggested Ford call their largest the Exploitation.
I can't imagine why they didn't answer my email.
Haha. Very humorous

Old 03-09-2005, 07:20 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

we used to call them:
Explorer
Exhibition and
Extortion

(this was pre-escape days)