Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally posted by mrkcohen@Oct 3rd 2004 @ 8:51 AM
To all:

Well I finally got around to getting my CEL checked. The dealer tells me it is the catalytic converter that is returning the error.

They have ordered the part and I have an appontment to get it installed Oct 19.

The repair WILL be covered by the warranty.

One of the guys I work with tells me that he saw or read a news story that mentions hybrids (he wasn't sure if it was the HCH specifically) having catalytic converter problems. Has anybody seen or heard anything about this issue?

Thanks in advance.

MC
Today I changed the oil in out new HCH with genuine oil filter and oil. I would have had the dealer do it, but the car turned 10,000 miles and the dealer couldnt fit me in until next tuesday... FOR A FREGGIN OIL CHANGE!!!!

Anyhow, changing the oil on the 2004 HCH is a breeze! I thought "wow, this was soo easy I cant see what all the fuss is about taking the car to the dealer..."

Turned the car on and reset the Maintenance Required indicator. As the manual says, the low oil pressure light stays on for a few seconds then turns off. The check engine light stayed on... so I drove it around the block. Engine smooth as ever... engine light still on.

I let the car rest for an hour, then turned it on again.. engine light.

GRRR!! I wonder how quickly they will fit me in with this problem!

I didnt touch anything but the oil cap, dipstick, drain plug and oil filter. Maybe its just coincidence that my Cat Converter is bad like the rumors say.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:22 PM

Dave:

I have had all the oil changes on my HCH performed at the dealer, mostly because I was a mechanic for fifteen years and I just don't like working on cars anymore.

Anyways, I had this happen once. I had the oil change done while I waited, and when I got in the car to leave, the engine light was on. Of course I went right back in to inform the service people of this. They got the car right back in and 10 minutes later I was on my way with no further problems.

Unfortunately, I didn't really get a straight answer to why the light was on in the first place. But whatever they did, it must have been an easy fix, becuase it only took them a matter of minutes to correct it.

Good luck getting your car in. You might want to check other Honda dealers in the area. Luckily, there are 3 or 4 within easy driving distance of me so I can usually get in to one pretty quick.

MC

P.S. I haven't posted in awhile, but I had the catalytic converter changed back in Oct and haven't had any further problems.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reassurance B) . One thing I failed to mention is HOW the car started back up after an oil change.

Lets just say the car doesnt like to run with the oil pressure indicator lit, which is a beautiful thing. As I stated before, the manual says the oil light will stay on for 5 or more seconds starting the car for the first time after an oil change. It did just that, BUT the engine shut OFF after only a few seconds. :blink: In a panic, I checked for leaks but everything was dry.

I tried again. Same thing, 2-3 seconds after the engine started it shut off.

I figured I had tripped on a vacuum hose somewhere so I checked all hoses. Everything was in its place.

After the third start the engine stayed on, the oil pressure light turned off, but the check engine light remains on.

Today I ordered a DigiMoto ODBII kit from www.digimoto.com (ebay has 'em cheaper BTW). It allows you to do all sorts of cool things, including checking ODBII error codes and to reset the engine light. But I also get a miriad of other data to geek out on. Ill let ya'all know what happens with that.

I know Hybrids are different animals, but I still should be able to change oil, air filters, and plugs when necessary without being taken by a dealer. I have kept my 1995 Geo Prizm running for 255,000 miles with that same philosophy.

If the **** engine light has to turn on every time I change the oil due to tight tolerances in the On Board Diagnostic software, then I want to take care of it myself.

I'll post the actual error when I get my hands on it.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast

Engine light went out during my drive to the mall yesterday!! It was on when I left the house, then halfway through my trip I noticed it turned off.

Hopefully it doesnt turn back on, but I will know what the problem is/was when I get the code scanner thingy.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Dave,
I had the same thing happen after changing the oil on my '04 HCH MT. I went to the local dealer, and he said it would take TWO WEEKS to get me into the shop, since I didn't buy the car there. He said if I bought the car there, he could get me right in. WTF! No loaner car if you didn't buy the car there either. Bugger! So I drove into work, and the light went off, and hasn't come on since. ?? I'll keep driving it unitl it stops running right.
BTW, anyone get the Extened Honda Warranty, and if so, how much did you pay? I can get 5yr/100,000 mile for $780. I need to look, since my 2004 is almost out of warranty!
Mike