EMF Craziness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default EMF Craziness?

I have a 2006 Civic Hybrid with navigation. I have a portable Sirius radio and my iPhone dock "permanently" affixed in the car, in the cubby holes directly in front of the CVT lever. I use a splitter for the power, so I can power both at the same time. Everything else about the car is pretty normal. I've had this set up for over a year now.

On Saturday I was driving, and I was using the navigation system. I was listening to the iPhone, although the sirius receiver was also on (which is how I normally would listen to the iPhone). All of a sudden the iPhone stopped playing so I looked down and it was rebooting. I looked up and the navigation system had stopped navigating. The map was displayed but my route was gone...I can't say if it "blinked" or anything, as I was looking at the iPhone.

Sorry for being so descriptive but I wanted to answer any of the basic questions people would ask right away.

Any ideas on what happened? Weird coincidence? Possibly some sort of electromagnetic field that spiked out from the battery? Maybe a sunspot?

Has anyone else had a similar situation? Any ideas on what may have caused the incident?

I was driving North on I-25 in downtown Denver when the incident occurred.

I guess it is worth noting that some "hybrid hater" hit my car in a parking lot and it was recently in for body repair to the luggage lid. The work was done at a Honda dealership so I assume they knew what they were doing.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EMF Craziness?

I think your iPhone got into a fight with your car over which is the coolest piece of technology and they both decided to pout for a second.

Seriously, I have no idea what would have caused something like that....sorry.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM

Poor connection, and bump in the road? H

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM
dcf
Enthusiast

Sounds like a neighbour has one of these:

Welcome to Coolest Gadgets! This site is best viewed using

« Seatbelt Lights to the rescue
Inflatable Toast Mattress »

GPSTracker Defence

April 21st, 2008 by Matthew in GPS gadgets If you are the paranoid type who worry that someone always has their eye on you then this Anti GPS Tracker is for you. What this anti tracker does is block all GPS signals for a 5 meter radius making it impossible for a tracker to track where you are and send those details on to others. The Anti GPS tracker plugs in to your cigar lighter and is powered from the 12V supply.

One thing to note is that by blocking those “tracking” you, there will be the problem that your navigation device will also not work… so you really need to weigh up your paranoia with being practical here. It still is a fairly cool gadget though and could keep you protected should you find your self in a situation like that.
The Anti GPS Tracker costs £149 and is available at the link below.
Product Page - Source SpyReview

Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

I guess a gadget like that is possible but I was driving in a restricted lane and no other cars were around me.

I guess I did fail to mention I was in a toll lane and there is a transponder on my windshield. I wasn't near the collection point yet when this occurred, but the transponder does have a battery in it (so I guess it's possible it emitted something).

It was just weird to me that at the same moment the navigation went off and my iPhone would reboot itself.

Ill try and take the same route again and see what happens.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Interesting... The iPhone shouldn't have restarted if there were a power failure, because it has a battery. It was probably just a coincidence. I don't think that it was electromagnetic interference. I'm not sure about the HCH, but the FCC had to approve the EV1's electronics, because of the high frequency that they emitted. The electronics are either not powerful enough or have been deemed not harmful. I would just see if it happens again.