Dumb question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Dumb question...

When the fuel gets low on the HCHII does a gas light come on?

(I was wondering because this was the first tank of gas that I used and I got down to two bars and no light came on yet.)

Thanks ahead of time!

Old 02-25-2006, 12:48 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Re: Dumb question...

Dumb reply. Have you read the manual?

Old 02-25-2006, 12:48 AM
amf
amf

Lee,

Yes there is a low fuel light (yellow gas pump) that comes on. Looks you filled up just before the warning light. If I remember correctly the low fuel light comes on when there is 1.7 or so gals left in the tank. Manual says that when you get to the "E" there is a little fuel reserve left. Low fuel light will come on between 2 to 1 bars left I think...I am on my second tank at this point in time.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:27 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

Lee,
My low fuel light came on at about two bars tonight. Yellow gas pump on top right side of dash. Consider posting your mileage on the HCH Database. Welcome to the HCH Club. Good luck!
Regards,

Old 02-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donald
Lee,
My low fuel light came on at about two bars tonight. Yellow gas pump on top right side of dash. Consider posting your mileage on the HCH Database. Welcome to the HCH Club. Good luck!
Regards,
Thanks!

Yeah, I was going to add my stats to the database, but it says "deactivated" - not sure why.

But I got just under 500 miles for my first tank (and that was before the gas light came on.)

Old 02-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

I have run the tank way down twice now and the low fuel indicator has come on just as the 2nd 'square' goes dark.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

mine comes on at about 2 bars. i took it down to no bars without any problems. apparently, there are still 2 gallons (100 miles) left in the reserve tank. on fillup, 10.5 gallons went it (the tank is 12.5 gallons).

Old 02-26-2006, 08:10 PM
amf
amf

Originally Posted by BrotherKnight
When the fuel gets low on the HCHII does a gas light come on?

(I was wondering because this was the first tank of gas that I used and I got down to two bars and no light came on yet.)

Thanks ahead of time!
Lee,

Just finished my second tank tonight on the way home. My low fuel indicator came on at 2 bars left and relatively quickly went to no bars (on E). Since I was driving in a storm I decided to pull off and fill up almost as soon as it went to no bars. Filled up and took 10.712 gallons on second click shut off at pump, so that leaves about 1.79 gal I had left at no bars left.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I find the fuel light to be perfectly useless. It comes on early enough to not be any sort of warning. I usually have at least one or two bars of fuel left. So what's the use? I use the last bar as my warning as it's about a gallon. Warning me when there's still a fifth of a tank remaining is sort of like having yellow stoplights that last 30 seconds. I know they're just trying to be safe, but stack on too many layers of safety margins and it adds up to a system that gets ignored.

I gotta tell you I'm pretty tired of fuel gauges being inaccurate and giving useless warnings long before you're truly low on gas. The civic is as guilty as the rest. LOL, the fuel light on my diesel truck comes on with over 8 gallons remaining, I can go 150 miles on that, 100 of which are after the needle points below empty. With all the modern technology we have available, IMO there's no excuse for not knowing EXACTLY how much fuel is left in the tank.