Driving Technique Question - Controversy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 06:18 AM
Banned
Default Re: Driving Technique Question - Controversy?

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Drive "around" the speed limit. Not too slow! Not too fast. If you want to ride around at 45-55, take the secondary highways instead. Their speed limits are more to your liking.
This is the best general advice in your situation. Be familiar with whatever path you take to cruise as much as possible..

Old 10-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I normally drive around 65 in the right lane, or the lane to the left of the right. The far right lane, though I can drive 60-65 there, is generally actually a bit less economical because sometimes big trucks getting on onramps will take a long time to get up to speed, or other speed variations like offramps starting to back up so people have to begin braking while still in the right lane, etc. so even though the middle lanes are a bit faster, fuel economy is still often better.

As for HOV access, I generally will drive in the middle lane, and if a bad patch of traffic starts to come up, I'll switch over to HOV to bypass it (usually at around 70) then switch back. Same thing there-- the faster cruising speed is still more economical (and a lot nicer) than stopping and going.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Nice post Lansing and everyone has some great comments.

I'd like to add that you can probably take it a little easier if you left a few minutes earlier.
In my case I've always taken the main artery from rural N. Ga into the city of Atlanta. About 15 miles of fast paced 70MPH grassy divided 2 lane freeway, which leads to another 15 miles of 65MPH freeway, then the rest has a 55 limit.
That is, I've always accepted and taken the 70MPH limit with no thought until I bought my HCH and tried the unthinkable-

Trying alternative routes and have adjusted them several times until finally taking a parallel freeway which limit is 55, then 45MPH and much more forgiving.

The 55 and 65 limits can be safely handled in the far right lane(s) at a reasonably slower pace without bothering anybody (5-10MPH under), but that's only with a crowded road. The side roads add about 7-10 minutes over 46 miles.

If the freeway has lesser traffic I'll take advantage of any large, open distance behind and take it a little easier.
At 3:00AM the 55 limit is almost completely abandoned w/zero traffic so if I see miles of nobody behind she'll sag down to the mid 40's at the top of hills.
When traffic comes up I'm well aware of it and gradually adjust my speed for a better match.

Probably the best thing I can offer is for you to view the video I made of my afternoon commute:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...7&postcount=32

The hour long video is probably pretty boring but speed limits and actual traveling speed are posted, and you can view the road ahead, behind, road grade and of course the FCD.
That day I was distracted by the video equipment and fighting a cross/head wind but still averaged 63MPG over the ~46 miles.

HOV lane?
If it were offered here in GA I'm not sure if I'd apply for them, simply because that is situated in the far Left lane, and speed accordingly.

Once I had the family along and I used the HOV but traffic kept me pushed along and 80-85MPH wasn't fast enough for anybody in that single lane so I've never returned.

On the other hand I'd like access to the lane in case of backup....but on the other hand most wrecks involve the Left lanes so perhaps that reason is pointless.....

Old 10-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Be familiar with whatever path you take to cruise as much as possible..
Just one amendment here; correct me if I'm wrong, anyone: I would try slipping into lean burn as opposed to cruise control if you get stretches of commute with a 55 MPH or under limit. Lean burn basically consists of accelerating to desired speed and then feathering the pedal ever so lightly to maintain as close to that speed as possible. You will be able to stay within 5 MPH of your initial speed for a very extended period of time, with only a bare minimum of deceleration, and when your speed is too low, just pedal back up to your original speed. You'll see dramatic FE improvement over cruise. Also, cruise control maintains vehicle speed and not RPMs, which means if you have even the slightest of hilliness in your route, cruise is a gigantic waste.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

My first choice is to drive the limit in the right lane. The car can get EPA mileage or better at 60 MPH just fine. If I'm alone on the road (highway or not), I'll drive what I want. Usually the limit, sometimes 5-10 below depending. That's only when no one else is around. When it's necessary to move along with traffic (in order to not be a hazzard), I do. I don't believe in causing traffic jams over my obsession with 1-2 MPG.

Sounds like you may have to decide if you want to use the HOV lane knowing it may reduce your FE, or stick to the right and do what you can. However if the HOV lane is moving but the other lanes are stop and go, it's probably a wash (since stop and go is bad for FE too).

The only other thing I can suggest is if your route in the HOV lane has some downhill portions where you can coast in Neutral for a while, that helps.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:32 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by helterskelter683
Just one amendment here; correct me if I'm wrong, anyone: I would try slipping into lean burn as opposed to cruise control if you get stretches of commute with a 55 MPH or under limit. Lean burn basically consists of accelerating to desired speed and then feathering the pedal ever so lightly to maintain as close to that speed as possible. You will be able to stay within 5 MPH of your initial speed for a very extended period of time, with only a bare minimum of deceleration, and when your speed is too low, just pedal back up to your original speed. You'll see dramatic FE improvement over cruise. Also, cruise control maintains vehicle speed and not RPMs, which means if you have even the slightest of hilliness in your route, cruise is a gigantic waste.
I also use this technique however I do not have lean burn. My HCH is PZEV (no lean burn) but this technique does work with the PZEV vehicles as well because it forces you to go easy on the gas pedal. Now that the colder weather has set in, my FE has gone down about 5mpg. Also, with the colder morning temps (30's-40's), I've noticed that for the first couple of minutes of driving the CVT stays in a lower range until all the juices warm up. This could cause a slight hit on FE as well so I don't go over 30-35mph until it decides to up shift. RPM's are 2K until everything warms up then the CVT selects the higer range. I think this is normal for cold weather because all of my other cars do the same. ???

Old 10-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Can someone explain what lean burn really is? I see how it is accomplished, but what is it in the car that makes it work - is this the part about shutting off unneeded cylinders, or something else? Are there any indicators as to when this is happening, or are you mostly doing what you expect to make it engage and watching the FE to confirm?

Old 10-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Banned

Lean burn is not cylinder deactivation, but reducing the air/fuel mix from about 16:1 to 22:1. I don't know for sure what activates it, but I have to be cruising and not climbing at under 65mph. Unfortunately, lean burn has a trade off - less greenhouse gas - more NO.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:07 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by zimbop
Can someone explain what lean burn really is? I see how it is accomplished, but what is it in the car that makes it work - is this the part about shutting off unneeded cylinders, or something else? Are there any indicators as to when this is happening, or are you mostly doing what you expect to make it engage and watching the FE to confirm?
There's a good explanation of lean burn if you google Atkinson cycle engine lean burn. See links below.

http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/M...Combustion.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/M...s/LeanBurn.htm