Driving an EX like a hybrid....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving an EX like a hybrid....

To philmcneal:

there is no reason to downshift to a lower gear--use the highest reasonable gear for the acceleration phase, and then coast in neutral. works on any car, manual, automatic. Using ~1/2-3/4 throttle (relatively strong) acceleration is actually more efficient (ICE engines are more efficient at high loads UP TO A POINT of ~70-80% of load, when they start being much less efficient b/c they start running rich).

Of course, if you decelerate as low as 50 km/h, then you might need a lower gear than 5th. but in general, highest possible gear the best.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tom: Sorry, but philmcneal is no longer an active user. That post was written nearly two years ago and that user hasn't posted in 11 months.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have previously owned a Civic EX and used to love that car. At that time, I was always getting in trouble with speed. I would add modifications to "try" to be faster. I went to motorcycles right after, then with only motorcycles. Now that rain was going to hit San Diego, I decided to jump on the Hybrid wagon.

Mentally I am glad I made that transition. It feels that, when in a hybrid and you know you dont have the HP, you maintain a moderate speed. When you know you have a "fast" car, you are always pushing the pedal "as if gas was free".

Anyways.. I just wanted to add my $.02

Everybody should drive as though they have a Hybrid, even though they may not have one. No reason to go fast... wake up early, take your time to go to work/school, get a cup of coffee on the way and CHILL !

Old 12-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Getting around 33mpg on a EX is not a bad thing. With careful driving and replacing parts on the EX with Hybrid cosmetics, it may even prove to be similar to normal usage. Understanding that some people on this forum have gotten MPGs up to 60+ from their Hybrids, not everyone does. Miles vary from place to place and how far you have to drive. I know I get around 33-35mpg driving carefully but I admit my commute is only 15 miles one way. The EX is still very fuel efficient and a smart choice for people whom don't share the same views as Hybrid owners but are conscience of the environment.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arbittan
Understanding that some people on this forum have gotten MPGs up to 60+ from their Hybrids, not everyone does. Miles vary from place to place and how far you have to drive.
Its almost impossible for me to reach those MPG #'s with all the elevation changes in my area. Majority of people who get those CRAZY numbers live in "flat lands".

Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Black Ice,
THANK YOU!!! Someone else here beside me is getting more realistic mpgs!!!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Ice
Its almost impossible for me to reach those MPG #'s with all the elevation changes in my area. Majority of people who get those CRAZY numbers live in "flat lands".
I know what you mean. What part of SD do you live in? I live in N county and it's just hill after hill....

Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 AM
G.H. Contributor
Unhappy Re: Driving an EX like a hybrid....

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Tom: Sorry, but philmcneal is no longer an active user. That post was written nearly two years ago and that user hasn't posted in 11 months.
This is True I use to be in contact with "Shawn/Shaun" the real name of philmcneal. It has been so long ago I truthfully cannot remember the correct spelling of his name. He just dropped off the (Face of the Earth).

A very nice guy and I sent many PM's to him but never received any reply. Know way of being sure but it seems that something must have happened to him "BAD".

He will be missed by me (Terry) and Others on the different Forums.

Terry

Old 12-09-2007, 11:30 AM
light green

I got the chance to rent an EX while on vacation in AZ. I managed 40MPG with cruise control, 4 adults and north AZ mountainous driving.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
I know what you mean. What part of SD do you live in? I live in N county and it's just hill after hill....
I live in San Diego, CA... but its more closer to Chula Vista. Every place I decide to go, I am climbing a **** hill. Either way I am still getting about 38-40MPG.

I filled the gas up to the rim and I have about a 1/4 tank left with 375 miles. We will see how much further it takes me.

Quick Reply: Driving an EX like a hybrid....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands