Does this sound about right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does this sound about right?

If you want the exact car you ordered, buy a MINI. Their site is incredible and once you order one, YOU the customer can track it's entire progress from start, born, ship, received, dealer dates.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah...my sis bought one of the new Minis. Awesome tracking ability. You can even track the boat on it's way over the Atlantic.

Of course - my 5-passenger HCH II gets almost 20 MPG better!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shoebox303
What the hell?
Question 1, does this sound reasonable to anyone who is more familiar with the car business than I?
Question 2, is there any kind of vehicle search I can do to find the car I want at another dealer (short of calling every Honda dealer in IL)?

If I need to be patient, please gently scold me and I'll return to my daily duties content. Either way, I'm excited to join this forum and learn/teach as we all go along. Thanks!

Jordan
We had a similar experience and ended up leaving the dealer and went to a competitor. This was almost a month ago.

Depending on where you are in IL, I would consider using Southeastern WI to get your car (since I'm sure there is plenty more demand in IL). I waited 7 days to get mine, and my girlfriend would have had to wait a month to get hers. We called another dealership when we were negotiating, and found that they had the car so we ended up not waiting at all. During our buying process, we called a few dealers in NE IL and no dealer had anything.

I live 15 miles or so NE of milwaukee - but it may be worth a drive. At both dealers we got the car for MSRP and negotiated the trade higher than they wanted.

I got mine from Russ Darrow Honda (toll free 866-690-8600) and my girlfriend got hers from Wilde Honda (in waukesha www.wildehonda.com - Check with internet sales. I've spoken with them and they offered under MSRP. After talking with them, call the regular sales guy (866-466-5111) and see if they know anything about incoming inventory).

I've purchased from both of them. I trust Wilde a bit more. Schlossman's (http://www.schlossmannimports.com/en_US/ 866-809-6601)is a little closer to you and they had a car in when we wanted it.

Give all of them a call and you might just get lucky. David Hobbs is the last dealer that comes to mind.

Good luck,

Dan

Old 05-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Hypermiler wanna Be

Sounds like my initial experience, but then WALA! the dealer called me 7 days after I put down a $500 deposit on a '06 Mag Pearl HCH. I put the deposit down because I was in the market, although not in a particular hurry. My '00 Mits Diamante was running OK (albeit only 23MPG) so I was donating it to my son when he turns 16 in July. I was getting worried that if I waited too long, I may not get it by July.

So I went in, made the deal (sticker price unfortunately - with a deal for some fog lights), plunked down $500 deposit and tried to wait patiently. Even though I did not need the car, I was hoping I would get a call. Then the following Thursday, I get a call that the car will be in Friday and I can pick it up on Saturday!

Turns out my dealer picked it up from a dealer in Illinois (Long Grove I believe).

I am in NW Indiana...if you are close...check call Bosak Honda (800) 420-1518. Ask for Scott Spero.

These hybrid units come from Japan I think, so maybe the dealers don't know what is truly coming on the "next boat", but I think they know more than they let on. In fact, I think when I plunked down my deposit, my sales guy had a list of all the units on dealer lots around my area. All he had to do was make a trade deal. He did tell me that if he had another hybrid, he could work out a dealer trade....but without one in his inventory, it was hard to get one.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greg

These hybrid units come from Japan I think, so maybe the dealers don't know what is truly coming on the "next boat", but I think they know more than they let on. In fact, I think when I plunked down my deposit, my sales guy had a list of all the units on dealer lots around my area. All he had to do was make a trade deal. He did tell me that if he had another hybrid, he could work out a dealer trade....but without one in his inventory, it was hard to get one.
The dealers do know more than they've led you to believe. As soon as a car is off the assembly line they know what they're getting down to the VIN number, color, and features. They just don't know exacty when it will arrive. It may take three or four weeks from the build date to delivery at the delaer's lot.

A dealer who's not playing games can promise a vehicle as soon as it's built, and give you an approximate availability date. Some dealers prefer to play games with waiting lists, without making any specific promises to anyone. They figure that when the car does show up they will offer it to people on the list, or if someone shows up willing to pay a premium they'll give it to him and screw those who have been waiting patiently.

Try to find a dealer who plays fair - is willing to gaurantee delivery of a vehicle with a specific VIN as soon as he has it on his delivery report.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

All very good advice and helpful insight. Thanks a bunch, everyone. I think my plan is to become the figurative "squeeky wheel" so as to get the figurative "grease". If I call them daily, they'll eventually get so tired of me they may get the car sooner!

Time will tell. Thanks to everyone!

Jordan

Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have to say the guys at Roush Honda in Columbus were right on the ball. My salesman showed me the computer screen that showed what cars were ordered, what color they were, what options they had (nav or non-nav) and when they'd be built. He told me that my car would be built in late march and I would have my car either in late april or early may. It's early may and I have my car. I called him every couple of weeks. About 2 weeks ago he said that my car had changed status and to expect it between May 2nd and May6th. When May 5th came around, I asked him to check it again. He said Honda revised the delivery date to between May6th - May 9th. My car was delivered on May 5th and picked up on May 6th.

Any dealer that tells you they don't know what's coming in either doesn't know their system or is stringing you along.

Jayson

Old 05-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

YEE-HA!

I found another dealer only 90 miles away who has the car with a build date of May 25th (delivery early June?). And, he's giving me almost the same price, actually $140 more but still below MSRP.

Now all I need is to find someone to buy my Jeep Wrangler. I'll bet I don't find that person on this forum!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would bet that the car will NOT be there in early june if it's got a build date of may 25th. My dealer said to expect shipping to take 4 - 6 weeks after the car is built. My car was built on Mar 29th and it took 5 weeks to get through customs, be shipped across the pacific and then get trucked out to my dealer.

Just food for thought, these dealers will say anything to make a sale though.

Jayson

Old 05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, you are probably right. At least it's better than what the first dealer was saying. And either way, it's earlier.

Quick Reply: Does this sound about right?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands