Cruise Control HCH '06

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 05:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Cruise Control HCH '06

Hi all,

My dealer mentioned I should not use cruise control for the first 500 miles of driving the HCH '06.

At the time he was flooding me with a ton of info about the car, and I didn't dig further into it.

Does anyone know why one shouldn't use cruise control ?

Thanks !!

Spring

Old 01-07-2006, 05:29 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Cruise Control HCH '06

I got this from here.

Q--How are engines broken in these days? My new Honda Odyssey manual says to change oil the first time at the regular maintenance interval which is 7,500 miles! Does this make sense? Would a sooner change of oil and filter be prudent? Also, I don't see any "hard use" oil change schedule in the manual and that bothers me.

A--You need not change the oil until your first scheduled maintenance. But we would advise some driving techniques that will help ensure engine longevity from the start. For about the first 500 miles, try to avoid long periods of steady speed driving; vary your speed occasionally. Avoid full-throttle acceleration; accelerate smoothly. Don't place a heavy load on your engine; avoid towing your yacht. After the first 500 miles, drive it like you stole it.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your dealer hasn't read the manual (p. 150):

...During [the first 600 miles]:
- Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
- Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time.
- Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by springkitten
Hi all,

My dealer mentioned I should not use cruise control for the first 500 miles of driving the HCH '06.

At the time he was flooding me with a ton of info about the car, and I didn't dig further into it.

Thanks !!

Spring
I've heard the same thing as Sledge (althought I've never heard it put so succinctly). I am not sure exactly why this is. It's what always makes me think when I hear others going out of state to dealers and then driving it back.

Last edited by AZMerf; 01-07-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Seems like last night as I was driving home (from the dealer!), I was surprised to look at the tach a few times and see different numbers, even though I used CC the whole way. I figure that must be the CVT at work. The reason many cite for not using CC during break-in has to do with running too long at the same engine RPM, but if the CVT is varying that anyway, well, there you go - ie don't worry about using CC (as the manual indicates).

Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Cruise Control HCH '06

Originally Posted by springkitten
Hi all,

Thanks !!

Spring
kitten;

If you cannot see that stated in your Owners manual I would forget it. I have owned all kinds of New vehicles over the Years and I have never ever heard of not using the cruise control on these Modern vehicles. Maybe it would be a concern if you were going to take a trip that was like a 1,000 miles one way and set the cruise at 75 or 80 MPH and just left it there for Hours on end. I really can't see anyone doing that right off the showroom floor though. I think just good old common sense will work for breaking in the HCH ll.

Terry

Old 01-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can use cruise control.
Just tap the accelerate button 1, 2, or 3 times every few minutes.
Do the same with the decelerate button.

I do the decelerate uphill and the accelerate downhill BTW to help the MPG.

Your speed will vary as if you didn't have CC on, and you get the convienence of CC.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Enthusiast

I know enough about engines... the deal is.. you want to continually vary the rpm (not too high) and make sure the engine is completely warmed up first..

its because of the cylindar rings and the cylindar walls need to be worne in

I think car engines are broken in at the factory so its less important.. but smaller things (motorcycles, ect.) need it.

you need to seat your pistons so there is no blow by/loss of oil ect.

also, it is better to break it in when its cold outside, less chance of cylinda glazing (oil cooked onto sides of cylinder), less chance of overheating(because of increased friction), and also less chance of rotor warping (brake rotor)

Old 01-09-2006, 12:34 AM
04 prius 350,000km

Originally Posted by mistyalcove
I know enough about engines... the deal is.. you want to continually vary the rpm (not too high) and make sure the engine is completely warmed up first..

its because of the cylindar rings and the cylindar walls need to be worne in

I think car engines are broken in at the factory so its less important.. but smaller things (motorcycles, ect.) need it.

you need to seat your pistons so there is no blow by/loss of oil ect.

also, it is better to break it in when its cold outside, less chance of cylinda glazing (oil cooked onto sides of cylinder), less chance of overheating(because of increased friction), and also less chance of rotor warping (brake rotor)
awesome information!!!

Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by kenny
You can use cruise control.
Just tap the accelerate button 1, 2, or 3 times every few minutes.
Do the same with the decelerate button.

I do the decelerate uphill and the accelerate downhill BTW to help the MPG.

Your speed will vary as if you didn't have CC on, and you get the convienence of CC.
I'm not sure I'm understanding what the point is of "constantly" regulating the speed with the accel/decel buttons if you're (also) using the cruise control. I thought the concept was "set it and forget it" for best FE.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control HCH '06

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands