Canadian Hybrid Owners- who are you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Hybrid-Hugger
Default Canadian Hybrid Owners- who are you?

I thought I would start this thread to see how many Canadians are out there in GH land. Please leave your mark here (and it serves as a great resource for other new owners who may have Canadian-specific questions like- hey, why don't I have a trunk release on my key? And we can answer back- we have no clue?).

Javaj from Calgary- 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid in Sparkle Gray and many many hail dimples

Last edited by JavaJ; 08-14-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadian Hybrid Owners- who are you?

Originally Posted by JavaJ
Canadian-specific questions like- hey, why don't I have a trunk release on my key?
And "will my hockey stick collection fit in the trunk"?

Old 08-15-2006, 05:33 AM
2006 Civic Hybrid

Why don't Canadians get the trunk release on our key fobs? It's bad enough that we don't get the Navi option up here in the great white north!

The trunk lid is wired for remote release but even the dealers are clueless as to why there is no trunk release on the fob.

Anyone know where we can get a fob with trunk release aftermarket?

Pissed eh!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Hey all

From Ottawa here.

As for the Trunk release not on Key fob... That's a good question. Gotta find out what's up with that!

As for the Navi Option... Be glad it is not an option here. I fell into that trap with my last vehicle having factory navi. You can buy an after market much cheaper, get updates at reasonable prices.

Ask someone who traded their vehicle with a factory stereo/navi option installed how much it added to the resale value. Yip, they just gave it away at trade-in time! Think of it like this... A student buys their first car for $500. They go to Best Buy and see a $3000 Alpine stereo they just have to have installed to impress their friends. What is the market value of this car when they pull out of the install bay... $500 or $3500?

Old 08-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Why we don't have a trunk release on the Key fob and there is no NAV option for the hybrid? Answer: Acura CSX

Honda for many year now downgrade accessories on the canadian honda civic (hybrid and regular) so its luxury equivalent "acura EL and now CSX" are more attractive for those who want luxury.

Why the hybrid suffer from this CSX? I don't know because if you want an hybrid, you don't want a CSX.

Sorry for my poor english but french is my first language...

Old 08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

Looks like I hit a nerve with the trunk-release. So here is an interesting fact (in case we think Honda Canada was "dumbing" down the Civics to push people to the Acura's). A buddy at work has an 03 Civic SiR and it does have a trunk-release. But not on the keyfob. He first unlocks drivers door, then unlocks again for the rest of the doors, then unlocks a 3rd time to open his trunk.
So it makes me wonder if there is a programming feature to enable this on the 06 Civics (especially since the US model has the same hardware)

Old 08-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just wanted to say 'Hi' from Ajax, Ontario.

I agree that remote trunk release would be very useful.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Checking in from Chatham, Ontario. I have a 2003 HCH with 89000 km.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Nerd

I was a Hybrid owner in Canada for 9 days. Boring detail here. I drove from New Hampshire to Sault Sainte Marie because it is there. You've got a nice country.

You might try buying a key from an American dealer.

I wanted a third key with fob, so I purchased one from my local dealer. It took them 2 hours to "teach" my car about the new key and the existing keys. They felt guilty and did not charge me labor, so I got the key for $48 US.

I used the nav system extensively, except when I drove off of the map near Sudbury and Timmins, ON. Then I used it in a diagnostic mode. It is lame that you have to put it into that mode when you are off of the map, what else could you want? Maybe distance and direction back to mapped areas.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guicide
I used the nav system extensively, except when I drove off of the map near Sudbury and Timmins, ON. Then I used it in a diagnostic mode.
Did you do anything special to get it into that mode, or did it just offer to do it when you got off the map?

I'm going to Nova Scotia next month and will be off the map for most of it. It annoys me that we payed this much for a navigation system, and I still have to bring along my old Garmin StreetPilot.

(And why, pray tell, does Honda not offer us the ability to view latitude and longitude when the thing IS running?)

Quick Reply: Canadian Hybrid Owners- who are you?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands