Bike Rack recommendations for HCH II ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bike Rack recommendations for HCH II ??

I'd like to get a bike rack for my shiny new Honda Civic Hybrid (2008). I'd prefer a trunk-mounted rack -- not a roof mounted and not a trailer hitch. Preferrably one that will not cause any damage or scuffing -- and that is fairly inexpensive (less than $150).

Just to hold 2 adult bikes for a couple weekend getaways.

Anyone have a recommendation of bicycle racks they like -- and racks they don't like?

Thanks!

(disclaimer: I tried searching on the forums for past threads of this topic, but came back with recommendations for other vehicles, not the HCH II -- couldn't figure out a way to search only within the HCH forum).

Old 05-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bike Rack recommendations for HCH II ??

I am using a Yakima rack on the roof. I have not had very good luck with trunk mounted racks in the past--they have scuffed up the paint on both the car and bike, and I had one loosen up on me on the highway (no bike loss thankfully). If you were hanging a two 15 pound road bikes, it might not be a big deal, but my mountain bikes are too heavy and too expensive to consider on the back of the car. Just my $0.02....

I have yet to quantify the mileage effect of a roof rack without bikes on it, but it doesn't seem to be a huge hit. With the bike on, I've managed a 52.4mpg average for a 400 mile round trip in the mountains, and I can get to local trailheads at around 50mpg (which is probably 5 mpg lower than without a bike). For longer drives without the bike, I pull the rack off which takes about 5 minutes to pull of/put on.

Another nice thing about a roof rack is that you can throw skis, canoes, or a cargo box on it which helps with those long loads that you can't "trunk" in the HCH. However, a roof rack system for two bikes will set you back more in the range of $300 than $150...

Regarding the search, there have been a few HCH specific threads about bike racks. After clicking on the search link (on the peach colored header bar), click on "Advanced search" rather than entering in your search words. This will allow you to select the appropriate sub-forum for your question and get HCH specific results. Edit: Here is the link to the advanced search page: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/search.php

Old 05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I also have Yakima racks for cargo box and our tandem kayak. These are great racks, and they can be locked! I have a lite class hitch for a bike rack. So far Honda has not said anything about the hitch, touch wood. H

Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought the Bell Sport trunk mount bike rack (3 bikes) at Walmart for about $45. While it mostly serves it purpose, I do have several thoughts worth mentioning:

- Wipe the contact areas of your trunk with a damp cloth to minimize damaging the car's finish (smooth clean surface will between the two will be the least abrasive)
- I can put the rack on in about 3-5 minutes, and take it off in about 1 minites (good)
- With one mountain bike, the rack is pretty solid (good)
- With two mountain bikes, the rack flexes and moves around more than I like over bumps. While it is probably safe, I would avoid it on a regular basis. (bad)
- You can open and close the trunk okay when there are no bikes (good)
- The trunk can wiggle around on its hinges and latch more than you expect which is probably why it doesn't feel solid with two bikes (bad)
- Due to the wiggle of the trunk, I bet any trunk mount system will make you worry with two or more bikes loaded (bad)
- Trunk mount is probably better for your fuel economy vs. roof mount (good)

-dan

Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

I just got a Yakima King Joe 2. Found it online for about $115 with free shipping. For some reason I liked the look of the Thule trunk more, but according to Thule, it won't fit the HCHII.

The Yakima is still in the box in my trunk. I'll try it out this weekend and post the results.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Great information! Thanks for the tips.

After a tiny bit of research, I'm thinking of getting the Yakima KingJoe or SuperJoe. They come in 2 and 3-bike models. Any experience using these?

Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Okay, so I put the Yakima King Joe 2 rack on my HCH II yesterday. The rack is really nice and easy to use. The only issue I found is the side strap mounting points. The side hooks wouldn't fit above the tail lights since the trunk fit is too tight. They might work just below the tail lights, but due to the angle they will push on the tail light housing that is part of the car body. I figure with my luck that I would end up cracking the plastic. They could work on the top of the trunk in front of the spoiler, but again due to the angle and how the hook is shaped, it will push on the spoiler, and with my luck crack it (I think the spoiler piece is plastic). So I hooked the side straps to the bottom of the trunk next to the bottom straps and it holds very securely. I only took a short trip with it, but it worked. If I'm taking any long trips I'll probably put the bike in the back seat, but I'm pleased with the purchase.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Trip221: I know what you are talking about with the side clips. I found my side clips fit perfectly on the back of the trunk between the taillights and spoiler. They're hooked solidly against metal and without any awkward angles on th straps. Is your trunk fit too tight to fit there?

-dan

Old 05-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

dan- I'm pretty sure I tried putting them there, but with the way the hook is angled and the way the metal on the inside part of the trunk is shaped they wouldn't fit right. I'll have to try it again. I just want to make sure that when I crank down and get the straps tight I don't bend anything on the car. I'm guessing (to save weight) that Honda didn't reinforce everything too much. Thanks for the suggestion.

At least my road and mountain bikes are relatively light!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

I got a allen 2 bike rack for my bike and use it pretty often. the good thing is that it folds down so it takes up less space in your trunk for transport. cost roughly $40 USD. I agree with dan - wipe (better yet wash) your rear truck lid putting anything on the paint.

I recently got a Dahon Mariner D7 folding bike. It fits perfectly in the HCHII trunk. I have been using it more than my mountain bike. It matches my silver car too!

Quick Reply: Bike Rack recommendations for HCH II ??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands