a better cuise control

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM
ROI
Enthusiast
Talking a better cuise control

Is there anyone out there with a system or the know how to make a system that will control the vehicle speed through torque control. I would like to equip my 2008 HCH with a cruise that I can set the level ground speed. Set the minimum speed for hill ascent. And the maximum speed for hill descent before engauging the regen system. I am sick of using my brain and body to get maximum FE. It is to much work.

I have bumper stickers available that say "Can you afford to drive like that". They are great for angry large 4x4 drivers to try and read. jk

Last edited by ROI; 06-25-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: a better cuise control

I mentioned some time ago, I think someone needs to program a CC that you can set your min & max speed but have the priority go to the iFcd's mpg. In other words I am on a trip and I want a min speed of 50 mph, max at 65 but with a priority of keeping the iFcd at least 60mpg. I am sure someone can figure out a program that could do that, once engineers realize the need for a FE cruise control.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would like to see that taken a step further even. If they tied the cruise into a GPS system, the car could know how high any hills and mountains are on your course. Based on that, and on your input "minumum speed," the cruise could drive with load through the hills automatically!

Edit: Actually, since I'm dreaming here, I also want a system that picks up signals from the traffic lights on your route and computes if you will make it through the light on green, or if you would need to stop. If it knew that you were going to need to stop, it would slowly dial your speed back as you approached the light. If you were approaching a red light about to turn green, it would be able to give you the right amount of speed so you could drive without brakes too.

The combination of these two things would turn every driver into a hypermilling champ! (but of course take some of the "fun" out of it).

Last edited by kristian; 06-25-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'd like to see a CC option based on fuel consumption and engine load, rather than speed.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Great idea Steve.

On the other hand, that would make it almost impossible for me to make to hybridfest as it would turn a 14 hour trip into an unbearable experience.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
HypoFueler

Hmm.... an auto pulse and glide CC....

Old 06-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Hello.. My name is Chris. I am a Hypermiler.

It's interesting finding this thread. I own (my wife drives) a HCH for 7 months now. On the few trips we have taken when I drive, my first thoughts about the cruise control is how it sucks for FE. Right now going up hills the **** car will kill itself trying to maintain speed and FE goes to hell. I have had the same ideas about wanting to program the cruise to prioritize FE say at 50MPG until it hits a lower speed limit of of user defined value like 55 MPH so as to not go too slow on interstates.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Chris and Welcome to GreenHybrid !!!!

One of the basic beliefs in hypermiling is that Cruise Control is the absolute worst FE enemy in almost every circumstance (except for steady state driving in perfectly flat roads) regardless of vehicle. Sadly or not, the HCH-II is no different.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Theatrical Technician

What bothers me about cc is how high the rpm gets when going up hill. And how it feels like you are breaking down hill to maintain the selected speed.

I try to stay under 2000 rpm in all driving conditions. I wouldn't mind a way to implement throttle lock so the engine would just maintain a preset throttle position. This is how I drive anyway here in Flat Land (Chicago) and it seems like an easy solution. Any automotive engineers out there know how the throttle pedal is linked to the engine on a HCH?

BTW: Years ago, I added this feature to my 1967 VW Microbus by laying a brick on the gas pedal when caring a full load of equipment (top speed 70 mph).