best hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:44 PM
2 Prius family
Default Re: best hybrid?

I love my both my Prii (03 and 05), but I have to agree with a comment above - too many functions are controlled by the touch screen. This is a potential safety issue, as instead of reaching for a **** to turn up the fan or whatever, while keeping your eyes on the road, you need to look down at the screen. There are a few environmental control buttons on the steering wheel, but not all.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I'll agree with Delta Flyer - the answers you'll get will depend on what we all bought. The "best" hybrid is the one sitting in our driveway.

Knowing a bit about your typical commute and area of the country (weather) could help. You may get some very good regional advice from folks who drive where and how you do.

It's been said before that a predominantly city stop-and-go commute will favor the Prius. Highway will favor the Civic. Also strong opinions on both sides for which drives better, is more noisy, looks funny, etc. All these things will be up to you to decide.

I think you'll find very, very satisfied owners of all three. I'll stick my neck out and say you can't loose with any of them. The Insight is definitely a specialty car (in the sense that it really fits a narrow demand, i.e. small 2-seater). The other two are good for most daily uses.

One last detail - if you're used to the truck, the HCH I seats do not fold down (I'm not 100% sure about the 06). Don't know about the Prius. If you occasionally need space - that's a good thing to check. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The rear seats on the HCH 1 and 2 do NOT fold down.
They do on the Prius.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned
Exclamation Before We Go on....

I want to stress I don't know the intentions of the thread-starter, but I find it strange he started it in the middle of the night, then 18 hours later, still has not followed up - makes you wonder if it's a serious inquiry. Add to that they did not divulge a lot of info about themselves, but asked us to - I expect introductions to be the other way around. I'm most concerned with the Topic "Best Hybrid" - sounds like flame-bait whether it was intended that way or not. The real question should be which hybrid is best for the needs of the one making the inquiry. We have different needs and will never agree on one hybrid being "best".

This thread seemed to start off with a list of various hybrid model shortcomings like a recent Insight thread.

If he returns and gives us some meaningful information of what he wants, by all means we should assist. Sadly my experience as a moderator at other sites include people that skip a decent introduction, then make their first post or two something procative so they can have something to laugh about the next day, then add a little more flame-bait.

I was not going to make this public, but the comparisons of one hybrid against another have me concerned.

Again, I don't know his intentions - I hope they are good. Isn't it reasonable to wait for more information?

Old 01-08-2006, 06:41 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: Before We Go on....

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I want to stress I don't know the intentions of the thread-starter, but I find it strange he started it in the middle of the night, then 18 hours later, still has not followed up - makes you wonder if it's a serious inquiry. Add to that they did not divulge a lot of info about themselves, but asked us to - I expect introductions to be the other way around. I'm most concerned with the Topic "Best Hybrid" - sounds like flame-bait whether it was intended that way or not. The real question should be which hybrid is best for the needs of the one making the inquiry. We have different needs and will never agree on one hybrid being "best".

This thread seemed to start off with a list of various hybrid model shortcomings like a recent Insight thread.

If he returns and gives us some meaningful information of what he wants, by all means we should assist. Sadly my experience as a moderator at other sites include people that skip a decent introduction, then make their first post or two something procative so they can have something to laugh about the next day, then add a little more flame-bait.

I was not going to make this public, but the comparisons of one hybrid against another have me concerned.

Again, I don't know his intentions - I hope they are good. Isn't it reasonable to wait for more information?
YES:

Terry

Old 01-08-2006, 06:41 PM

I'm going to give him the benifit of the doubt. But yes, it does make sense to wait for more info rather than to speculate.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Good point - I suppose I gave benefit of the doubt too quickly. You'd have to be really, really bored to start a fight about hybrids just for laughs.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:12 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by lakedude
Boy talk about your loaded questions.

Many of the reasons I purchased my HCH are gone. I like the control you get from a manual and I liked the more normal look of the gen 1 HCH.

One big reason I liked the HCH was that at the time it was not a brand new model, it is good to get the bugs out. Now the situation is reversed with the Prius being the established model.

The new HCH is too much of an unknown for my taste so in spite of being a loving HCH owner I'd go with the Prius if I were buying now.

If you are more the chance taking type I'm sure the 06 HCH would be a fine choice.
One word: WARRANTY. If it ain't right, you got 5 years to get it fixed on Honda's dime.

3 years if it's Toyota's.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Best? I really couldn't say.

I bought the Honda because it felt roomier to me.

Ron in SoCal