Battery Life??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Enthusiast
Question Battery Life??

Hey all,

New to the site...

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid and I love it.
But I keep hearing this nasty rumor that the battery craps out at 5 years...
Anyone have solid info on this?

Thanks,
fISH

Old 09-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Life??

Welcome to the forum fISH!!

How long the battery lasts should depend on many factors.

1. Temperature, hot or cold. Personally, I don't leave my car in a parking lot under the hot summer sun for an extended period.
2. Usage. If someone has a lead foot requiring Assist constantly it can shorten the battery life.

Honda warrants my battery to 150K miles, I hope to drive mine more than twice that.
Personally, I use as little of Assist as possible, I get the best MPG that way.

I might drive the last segment of its life on a flat battery.
It's not that big of deal...at least for me.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 09-04-2005 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Forgot my welcoming manners.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't heard that rumor. The oldest Honda hybrids are only 6 years old now anyway, so it'd be pretty hard to substantiate that rumor, I'd think.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

"A rumor is not a rumor that doesn't die...."

I guess I will have to find out for myself. Like your's, my car is covered for 5 years so I should be fine.

Honestly, I don't think I will own it that long anyway. The resale interest in NYC is amazing, since there is waiting period on my color. And I am hoping for an improved design in body and engine before my 5 years is up.

Thanks for any info though, I have been looking for a site like this for a while.

fISH

Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 PM

since there is waiting period on my color
I haven't heard of this.

What color do you have?

Old 09-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yay for high resale values! Even though I bought my 2005 HCH in early April, I'm seriously considering the purchase of a 2006. I'll have to sell my '05, since I don't need and can't afford two cars, but the recent spike in gasoline prices should make that sale a wash, more or less.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Buy the extended warranty if you have less than 36K on vehicle. Then dont worry about it. I bought 7 yr 75K warranty and plan on keeping it 5 years or so. You should be able to negotiate a lower price on a warrantly by shopping the F&I mgr at any Honda dealer. He is there to sell and most make there living on commissions on financing and warranty sales, so are motivated.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Hybrid True Believer

My car is 3 years and 3 months old and has 82,000 miles. I had the IMA batteries tested the last time I had an oil change and they're still functioning at 96% of original capacity. I wouldn't worry about it. I think an 8 year service life is probably a little more realistic than 5.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:26 AM

I have a friend that works as the service manager for a Honda dealer in NH, and he said that not one battery in all the HCH or Insights have been replaced. He said that Honda contacted his delearship to ask if a volunteer would give up their battery so that Honda could test it. Please note, the battery changed was working perfectly, they just wanted a sample. He also went on to say that had the battery really needed to be replaced the cost to do so would be around 1K and not the 5K that a lot of people like to quote.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

I was at a Honda Dealer in NY about batteries... He said they did have to replace one set.. The guy went through a flooded road & shorted them out. Other than that, none he said.