Battery level fluctuates - Civic 07

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Battery level fluctuates - Civic 07

Hi

I am keen to know what is causing my battery to behave like that. In the morning I go to work with no issue. Going back home, after a few kms, the battery will drop to 2/8 bars. Then after about 5-6kms it will get back up full again after some self charging. The car gone sluggish as expected during the process. I own this car brand new. It is doing its first 130,000km last week.
  1. What is causing it to drop suddenly?
  2. Does air-cond, fan drain the IMA battery or they are not powered by hybrid battery?
I saw a youtube video showing to to charge and discharge the IMA battery to recondition the battery, but I am not how the bloke have to connect without taking the car apart. Does anyone know?

THanks in advance

Old 02-12-2023, 01:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery level fluctuates - Civic 07

You are experience positive and negative recalibrations like this.

normal drivig.
Gauge "marches" down to 2 bars at 1 bar/second (negative recalibration, one of the 11 tap voltages is below minimum).
Holds at 2-3 bars while force charging, and performance is generally poor.
Gauge then "marches" to full at 1 bar/second (positive recalibration, one of hte 11 tap voltages exceeds maximum).

This is a sign of failing IMA battery with substantial cell imbalance.

The video does not apply to you. Lots of info on charging 06-08 HCH out there. Key difference with your car and his is that your fan requires a PWM controller to run, and the IPU lid MUST be in place to permit cooling.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks mate.

What is the solution for this? Is it a straight out replacement?

Old 02-12-2023, 05:35 PM

A grid charger might restore cell balance and permit continued operation.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

THanks Keith

Would this work?

https://hybridautomotive.com/product...oning-package/

Old 02-12-2023, 09:19 PM

It is suitable for your vehicle; however, there are no guarantees that it will work. The fact that your car is recalibrating WITHOUT throwing an error code is encouraging.

A 25 hour grid charge followed by an assessment period is appropriate. You don't want to be overly aggressive with discharges.

General rules for grid charging/discharging:

1. Try charge only first. If that corrects it for an extended period, grid charge only when you see recalibrations start.
2. If grid charging only does not produce acceptable results, conduct full 25 hour grid charged followed by a discharge to ~106V. Try to avoid discharging below that. Follow the discharge with another 25 hour charge. Drive the vehicle to assess results.
3. If #2 works, return to #1 until it doesn't. If #2 doesn't work, charge for 25 hours and then discharge to 66V. Try to avoid discharging below that. Follow with a 25 hour charge. Drive the vehicle to assess results.
4. If #3 works, return to #1 until it doesn't. If #3 doesn't work, repeat it a second time - charge 25 hours, discharge to 66V, charge for 25 hours. If that doesn't work, replace pack.