Aux Jack gives mono sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Aux Jack gives mono sound?

When I plug my mp3 player into the aux jack it has stopped giving stereo sound, and instead only comes out of the drivers side.

I know the stereo itself is good, and I know the cable is fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aux Jack gives mono sound?

Originally Posted by eikiel
When I plug my mp3 player into the aux jack it has stopped giving stereo sound, and instead only comes out of the drivers side.

I know the stereo itself is good, and I know the cable is fine. Anyone have any ideas?
Are you sure that both the cable and mp3 player are good? I had this problem a couple of months ago, and was convinced that I must have cocked the jack on my iPod. However, (and luckily), it turned out that the cable must have gotten bent at some point and was bad. Replacing the cable fixed the problem.

Test the cable and your mp3 player since both of those easier to replace than your car stereo. If it turns out that your mp3 player is the culprit, you may still be able to get sound out of it by using the computer connection (the bottom plug if it's an iPod). You would just need to use a different type of cable (which the make for iPods and possibly other mp3 players).

Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by eikiel

Are you sure that both the cable and mp3 player are good? I had this problem a couple of months ago, and was convinced that I must have cocked the jack on my iPod. However, (and luckily), it turned out that the cable must have gotten bent at some point and was bad. Replacing the cable fixed the problem.

Test the cable and your mp3 player since both of those easier to replace than your car stereo. If it turns out that your mp3 player is the culprit, you may still be able to get sound out of it by using the computer connection (the bottom plug if it's an iPod). You would just need to use a different type of cable (which they make for iPods and possibly other mp3 players).

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that it is the jack itself, I have replaced the cable and anyone's mp3 player does not work. Maybe I will just have to live with it.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:49 PM

I would guess that the jack has a cable running from where it connects on the dash up to the stereo. If the jack is the problem, you (or someone who knows how to work on car stereos) should be able to order a replacement part and replace the one you've got now. I'm not sure if the cost/benefit on doing that would make sense. I would pay some $$ to be able to listen to decent tunes again if I had this problem.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I am at college right now so I will probably do it when I get home

Thanks for your help and if I figure it out I will let you know what I did to fix it!