Autostop not engaging after first oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Autostop not engaging after first oil change.

Had my oil changed at 8700 miles 0% oil life (dealer's recommendation was to wait until it hit 0%) about 10 days ago. I don't think the Autostop has engaged once since I got the car back from the dealer. I drove it home from the aiport the other night, about a 70 mile trip, and even at the end the Autostop didn't engage. It was doing it nearly every stop prior to the oil change. Also I am now only getting high 30's to mid 40's for mileage, but I think that is because the dealer reduced the tires PSI from the 35 that the car had when I bought it to 30.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:49 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Autostop not engaging after first oil change.

Sounds like the AC has been turned on. Is the climate control set to Auto and is the Econ light out? They may have done their usual check up of all systems and left the climate control in Auto with Econ off.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Elisa;

If I may ask, what are the temperatures in your location? If they are getting lower for you as they are for many of us then the Auto-Stop not kicking in is perfectly OK - at least until the car warms up. After it warms up then it should return. For those of us in the very north of the continent the AS may not return until spring time !!!

Now, the only other reason for this could be the defrost option being on. This will inhibit the auto-stop even when the vehicle is warm.

Unlike Ralph's car (a 2005 HCH) the automatic climate control on our cars will not interfere with the Auto-Stop feature (as long as the cabin temp is not set too low or too high).

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 10-24-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I'd also suggest getting that tire pressure back up to 35. 30 is just too low for this car, and you're inviting trouble at that point.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

I am north, but not that far north. Connecticut. The autostop was engaging after 15 mile trips last winter during 30-40 degree days, and it's not that cold here yet. I am going to get the tires back up to 35.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Elisa,

Chris is very right and you would do well taking the tire pressure a little higher.

In fact, many of us are running the tires' pressure at 40 and 42 psi with very good results. I would recommend that instead of the more common 35psi especially if fuel economy is a top priority for you.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I also waited til about 8,500 miles for my first oil change, mainly due to a cross-country move. I don't remember any of the hassles of which you speak.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:08 AM
Enthusiast

Apparently it was some combination of climate control settings that the dealer put it that prevented the autostop from kicking in. I adjusted it yesterday, and now the car autostops most every stop. Still haven't figured out what settings made it stop. Just need to put air in the tires now.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Good to know everthing is OK now.

As I stated above there are only two things in the climate control that could have inhibited the Auto Stop:
-Defrost switch set to ON.
-Climate temperature setting too high or too low.

Cheers;

MSantos