Auto Stop HCH1 MT MOD word Doc File

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Auto Stop HCH1 MT MOD word Doc File

Hi all:
Here is a link for those of you interested in performing a mod on the HCH1 MT, this modification will force the car into Auto Stop mode at any speed without having to turn off the ignition switch. Enjoy

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/mi...loadfile&i=969

Last edited by HCH03; 01-19-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Auto Stop HCH1 MT MOD word Doc File

Now if they would have something for the CVT like this, it would be nice, some way to activate/deactivate it while coasting.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:56 PM

I recomend a disclaimer in your instructions.

Sounds like the CVT one would be easier since autostop only works when the car is in D and doesn't work when the car is in N.

probably just need the brake bit and the switch.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tom, thanks for the advice the diclaimer is in.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:42 PM

I'm going to have to take a trip to conneticut some time so we can work on a CVT version for my car.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sure let me know, but I live in Dutchess county NY about 20 minutes west of Connecticut.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would think some kind of switch, that would send the same signal as when applying the brake and under 5 mph. I can't recall exactly, but does the CVT drop its RPMs to an idle position with no throttle input? If so then it shouldn't hurt the tranny to shut it off as long as you allow the RPM to drop to idle speed but for a TRUE FAS because we would be forcing the auto-stop feature to kick in and not just killing the ignition and coasting ... so what we now call FAS would be a FEC - forced engine stop, or something similar. I would use a feature like this more likely than the current FAS, because there is no shifting from D-N-D and all the extra re-engagement that I am sure if you screw up enough may warrant a new CVT, but I would think the factory system would have a far greater benefit. It would also enable the rest of the system to function normally. If you are low on battery it wouldn't work, or if you brake vacuum was low, etc. I think it would be the safest method to date. I hope it can work!!! Good luck to you both.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Shaun,

From what I see in the service manual if the HCH CVT Auto stops in gear then all that would be require is to interrupt and substitute a 12 volt signal to the ECM and transmission control unit (TCM) at wire E3 from the under-dash fuse/relay box of the multiplex control unit plug. This would take the place of you applying the brakes, and then a second switch would be added to interrupt the VSS signal to the ECM at the same place that the HCH MT wire A18 is cut and spliced at. Now you would have to install these switches some were close, so that they are easily accessible, maybe integrate them in your shift lever handle. I don’t know what type of damage, if any, this would cause to your CVT, while coasting with the engine off in gear at high speeds, so this said good luck.

Last edited by HCH03; 01-17-2006 at 02:07 PM.