Anyone used a GPS Nav unit in HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone used a GPS Nav unit in HCH?

I was thinking of getting a portable GPS unit to put on dash, but with the radio special antenna mount arrangement on HCH, I wonder if a GPS unit will work without any interference from the HCH IMA electronics.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Default Re: Anyone used a GPS Nav unit in HCH?

I would think it would work in the front. The HAH has navigation so I don't think it would be much of an issue. Very good question though.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

I use a Garmin iQue 3600 (Palm PDA with built-in GPS) in our HCH all the time, sitting on the dash. It works just as well as in any other car, so the IMA apparently makes no difference. The power converter for the PDA plugged into the power outlet makes my favorite AM NPR station whistle, though. Strong stations and FM are okay.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

I use a Zire72 with a BlueTooth GPS receiver running the TomTom navigation software. I just toss the receiver on the dash and then use the holding arm either stuck to the window or coming out a cup holder. I like the ability of moving it between cars and taking everything out of the car easily so it doesn’t get stolen.

I don’t have any issues with noise on the radio because of the GPS device.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

I use a Dell X50v PDA with a CF GPS and Mapopolis mounted to the windshield with an Arkon powered PDA mount. It works like a champ, no problems what so ever. I do 360 virtual tour photography and am driving to new locations every day. I won't leave home without it. I also play audio books on the pda at the same time and listen to them thru my FM using a Belkin iPod fm Tranmitter. Again, no problems.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast

I use a little Garmin Etrex handheld on the dash. No problems other than it can get overheated on a sunny day. I love it not for navigating so much as for telling me whether I'm going uphill or down and whether my speed is changing.