Anyone own a HCH and a HAH? Comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone own a HCH and a HAH? Comparison?

Originally Posted by DTDRIVER
I believe that if you do not like the Prius, then you will not like the 06 HCH. I am waiting and hoping that Honda comes out with a CRV hybrid on the four cylinder in 07.
Hmm...why do you say we won't like the new HCH ? There are those of us who like the Honda driving experience, and like the idea of incorporating the hybrid technology into an existing carline (cost efficient for the mfg, too).

I'll grant you, the 2 level dash may have "been inspired by a spaceship cockpit", as the interior design team was quoted, but at least the instruments are in *front* of the driver!

On the CRV - my source says the Ody is going to get the treatment next - and it'll follow the 'loaded up' scenario, like the HAH did. So...expect a Touring trim level, with or without RES...and a sticker of about $40K

Honda has said they don't expect to hybridize their SUVs in the new 3-year plan. They may change that, now that the US govenment has chosen to penalize them more (w/ regard to future FE standards) for building fuel-efficient SUVs than GM / Ford for building their larger ones.

Gotta love it...'war is peace'...'deficit is prosperity'...'fuel efficiency is wasteful'.
Orwell was right

Old 08-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

The mileage you can get out of an HCH is so variable you could spend days explaining one or the other. My lifetime average over 40K miles and 3 years is just under 46 - all seasons considered. I agree with a previous poster to expect posted mileage if you drive sensible, more if you work it.

I only test drove the HAH. They are as different as any two cars would be that are $14,000 (or so) apart in price. The HCH cannot compare with the HAH power, ride, handling, and appointments. The HAH is a luxury car with an electric motor. The Civic is an economy hybrid.

The only opinion I can offer is to ask what are you expecting from this second car? If you want adequate transportation, great mileage and an expected array of options that are necessary but not overdone, the Civic is a great choice. If you're looking for a hidden "fun" factor, I don't think the Civic will provide that. My only regret with the car is that it is decidedly not fun to drive. However, it's a small price to pay for only filling up every 550 miles (or more). That's probably not the technical review you were looking for - hope some of it helps.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

"On the CRV - my source says the Ody is going to get the treatment next - and it'll follow the 'loaded up' scenario, like the HAH did. So...expect a Touring trim level, with or without RES...and a sticker of about $40K "

The ODy can already hit $39K plus, so if they make it a hybrid, it should be more than $40k loaded. Dont see how they can squeeze much more mileage out of one as they are big vehicles! They dont get near the mileage that the sticker shows either. The HAH has not been the selling success that Honda had hoped for, so if they are smart they would do the 4 cyl CRV and put a reasonable price on it. Price is one reason the HAH did not sell as well as hoped for. I dont consider the HAH a luxury car, it is nice, but not a luxury car as some say on this list. A notch above a Civic, but not a big notch. Now the Ody Touring is, in my opinion, a luxury feeling and driving vehicle. One of the best driving vehicles I have driven. Probably have driven 6-8 of them on 75-160 mile trips. Mileage on ones with meters has been around 22-24 at 70+ MPH.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi DTDriver:
Originally Posted by DTDRIVER
The ODY … They don’t get near the mileage that the sticker shows either.
___I keep seeing you post stuff like this (2X in this thread alone) and it makes no sense. Saying you might not hit EPA estimates is one thing. Saying you cannot hit EPA estimates is an entirely different matter altogether …

___The Acura MDX is a 4WD SUV built off the ODY platform and creaming its EPA (17/23) is pretty easy to do when I ever I get the opportunity to get behind the windscreen. The pic of her FCD below was taken in the middle of one of Chicago’s infamous snowstorms just last year! 31.2 mpg in 21 degree temps is not half bad. I have a pic posted around here somewhere at 33.x something as well …

___With that, I just got back from the gas station after topping her off to beat the Katrina price increases. (3) stop signs and 3 stop lights later, she is currently sitting in the drive after a < 2.0 mile drive at 30.2 mpg.

___And back to our regularly scheduled programming …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

1st Tank - 6.5L/100KM
2nd Tank - 6.8L/100KM

I cannot even get EPA on this car. I dont drive aggressively and AC is always off. I will try with my 3rd Tank to get better but doubt it....