Anyone driven both the HCH2 and the EX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 AM
Enthusiast
Question Anyone driven both the HCH2 and the EX?

curious as to the 'feel' difference between the two (I've obviously looked up the stated hp difference etc.). I've only driven the EX and the HCH1 and the power difference was too much for me to take, but I know the HCH2 is more powerful than the HCH1...

Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone driven both the HCH2 and the EX?

Test-drove them both late last year. Didn't notice much difference in the power, but then again it was a short drive and I don't care all that much about that. They were both very similar, although I do remember liking the brakes on the HCH2 better; it also seemed (to me) to be a bit quieter. We already owned a Prius, so we were already leaning towards the HCH2 (which we ended up buying). Best suggestion I can offer is to test drive them both then decide for yourself.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast

Problem is that no dealer will let me test drive a HCH2, they're all pre-sold. I've looked for a used one but unsuccessfully.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:22 AM
Enthusiast

I got carjacked once and the guy received a suspended sentence (just an idea)

Old 07-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

I test drove both.

The biggest difference I noticed right away was the CVT transmission in the hybrid versus the conventional transmission in the EX. The dealer is located on a busy road, so you have to accelerate rapidly off the lot. The CVT in the hybrid was definitely different, as it does not shift. Not a bad thing, but it takes a little getting used to. In fact, I really like the smoothness of the CVT now that I have been driving the car for a couple months.

The braking was more senstive on the hybrid, which I actually like, due to its regenerative capabilities. Again, like the transmission, you just have to get used to it and adjust your braking style accordingly.

I definitely noticed a difference in power, but it wasn't significant enough for me to avoid the hybrid. In fact, I had expected it to be weaker than it was, so I was pleasantly surprised. I drive a mixture of very busy highway and back roads and the hybrid has never failed to perform or made me nervous about merging.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I test drove both before buying the HCH II. IMOH I liked the CVT better than the auto in the EX and with the CVT I didn't find the HCH II to be exeptionally slow on the road, freeway or stop/ go.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast

I've driven both and I actually like the EX better in terms of power and pricing. Gas mileage between EX and Hybrid is not big, I assume average of 35 on the EX vs 40 on the Hybrid. Pricing different is huge, $6000 USD difference between the EX model and the base Hybrid. It was a very short drive so I could not feel the difference but here's what I can remember.

Ride:
EX: Comfortable, quick and smooth with 140hp under hood.
Hy: Comfortable, quiet and sportier, Good for cornering and feels safer, average acceleration with only total of 110hp combined.

Gas Consumption:
EX: Expect to get 35mpg average for both hw and city
Hy: Expect to get 40mpg average

Pricing:
EX: $20K Out The Door
Hy: $26K Out The Door

Features:
EX: Nice Sun Roof which can be tilted (very nice feature), Rear seats fold down allowing pass thru from trunk, Manual A/C, Normal Alloy wheels
Hy: No Sun Roof!, Rear seats can't fold down, Automatic A/C, Unique alloy wheels, Nice signal lights on side mirrors.

I thought I would buy the Prius or the regular Civic EX with Sun Roof, but I ended up with the 2006 HCH because I want to support the green plannet and the gorgeous look for the new HCH. I even bought the 100K extended warranty for almost $1500 and LoJack for $650. I think that the 06 HCH design is for reliability and probably more durable than the Prius, but I could not pass up on the 100K full warranty... I also own the 2005 Odyssey and like it alot, but I will consider trading it for the Lexus 400h, what do you think???? I have two kids and grandma, the 400h should carry everyone but the Odyssey is just too big???

Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by annguyen251
Pricing different is huge, $6000 USD difference between the EX model and the base Hybrid.
I assume you're giving your own experience with street-value pricing. According to Honda's website, the current MSRP's are:

Without navigation:
$19,260 EX Auto
$22,150 Hybrid
$2,890 difference

With navigation:
$20,760 EX Auto
$23,650 Hybrid
$2,890 difference

You should be careful when throwing out figures like $6K difference.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by annguyen251
Gas Consumption:
EX: Expect to get 35mpg average for both hw and city
Hy: Expect to get 40mpg average
I think that's a bit unfair. The EPA estimates are 30/40 and 49/51 for the 2006 EX w/auto and hybrid respectively. Assuming similar driving habits in both cars, you're not going to average 35 in the EX and 40 in the hybrid.

I would expect an average of 45-50 mpg for the hybrid with moderate driving habits.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

- " You should be careful when throwing out figures like $6K difference."
I agree with you on the MSRP pricing.
However, it's also true that there's $6K difference at many Honda dealers in my area. I am speaking for my individual case. This does not mean that everybody will get the same deal...

Without navigation:
MSRP $19,260 EX Auto (Plus 550 destination charge)
MSRP $22,150 Hybrid (plus $550 destination charge)

Dealer Pricing in my area:

$18,000 EX Auto (*A dozen availble in stock)
$24,000 Hybrid (*to get the only car in the lot)
$6000 difference

Quick Reply: Anyone driven both the HCH2 and the EX?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands