Amazed by Great MPG !! (Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:02 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Amazed by Great MPG !! (Long Post)

Wow, What a difference a trip makes! I'm from near Buffalo, NY. Recently I had my first tank over 45 MPG and I was pleased. To be honest, I was skeptical of some of the results in the GH database. My lifetime with around 4k miles was about 41 MPG. Today the Easter Bunny delivered! We drove from the VA (lower) part of the Delmarva peninsula to Myrtle beach. We missed a turn and had to speed to meet my daughter at the hotel. We drove at varying speeds (55 to 76 MPH) on cruise. Most of it was 60 to 76 MPH which I know is not good for getting good gas mileage. The total trip was 447.4 miles with 2 passengers and we got 50.4 MPG! . I had been surprised by our results from home to the Delmarva peninsula where my son lives. This was a trip of 499 miles (60 - 65 MPH) with 4 passengers and a full load of luggage and stuff - we showed 50.9 MPG! This trip was made in around 70 degree weather. The trip to Myrtle Beach was made in 70 - 90 degree weather. What a difference from cold & snowy western New York state . My Trip B (lifetime MPG) has gone up to 42.9. This is an increase of about 2MPG from these two trips. AWESOME ! These results are from the Trip A odometer. My lifetime is calculated from all the tanks (mileage & gallons of gas) and is actually about 1 MPG better than the Trip B odometer which has not been reset since I picked up the car. I really love this car.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Amazed by Great MPG !! (Long Post)

Wow, great mpg! Great to see that someone got great mileage down here in my neck of the woods. I live and work here on the Eastern Shore of MD and wondered what I would get in a hybrid since it's so flat here.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good News!

Welcome to Hybrid Nirvana.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Owner

Betch you never thought you would ever make that 499 mile drive on ONE tank of gas did you? :-)

Old 04-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast

Welcome to Hybrid Heaven!

Old 04-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Proud owner HCHII

I see that oil is over $70 a barrel for June delivery on the markets today! We can afford to smile (only just) I halved the cost of gas going from a Honda Accord coupe 3000 cc V6 to the very special HCH II. When I look at pump prices I divide by two!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by preludemd
Wow, great mpg! Great to see that someone got great mileage down here in my neck of the woods. I live and work here on the Eastern Shore of MD and wondered what I would get in a hybrid since it's so flat here.
I live in Baltimore and when I first got my HCH II I took a trip to Ocean City. For the entire weekend round trip I achieved 55 MPG. About a month later I took another trip down to Ocean city and on the way down for that trip I got 65 MPG. However, for my return trip was not that good because of a very strong head wind that was blowing against me the whole time. It was so bad that it was blowing the car around the whole day and no trucks were allowed on the Bay Bridge.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Very nice and thank you for posting that. I keep jumping back and forth between the civic hybrid and possibly the Fit just because it'll cost less initially. Can't decide. Have to wait till I can test drive my "list" and see which one I like the best. Just fyi, my commute is between Salisbury and Cambridge. Dayjob is in Cambridge, 2nd job and live in Salisbury.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

The wind makes a really big difference. On our regular trips St. Louis to Chicago we have gotten as much of a difference as 41 mpg vs 60 mpg depending on head wind or tail wind. So now just check wind forecasts instead of gas prices each day!

Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Proud owner HCHII

Preludemd

Fit and Civic Hybrid are not at all comparable! The Fit, called Jazz in Europe, is a small family car (have a look at www.Honda.co.uk cars to see what it looks like) Whereas the Civic Hybrid sedan is larger and altogether a better car. The Fit will be ideal as a second car for a young family where the (husband commutes daily ) wife has to ferry children to and from school etc. Check out the measurements - it looks big but is really quite small. One big advantage though, the rear seats fold flat to give a lot of space and it is a hatchback.

Last edited by Tulip; 04-17-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Amazed by Great MPG !! (Long Post)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands