All's Well -- 10 month, 7k mile, 1st oil change update

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default All's Well -- 10 month, 7k mile, 1st oil change update

Yup, our GG HCHII received it's first oil change this morning @ 6990 miles (15% oil life left). Then I drove it to work and got 50mpg in 32 degree weather.

The car has been nearly flawless. After reading of quite a few issues with other HCH's here, I thought I should post up on mine.

I haven't had any probs besides seat comfort on a road trip. The car is so nice I am almost bored with it -- almost. It's one thing I don't have to worry about and I love it.

Thanks honda!

(Sorry to get all gushie! )

Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Just me...
Default Re: All's Well -- 10 month, 7k mile, 1st oil change update

Makes me look forward to my first oil change. That, combined with higher temps as we move into spring/summer, should get me some great mileage!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 PM

You cold have taken it down to 5%, why the hurry. I suppose you put a filter in your baby as well?H

Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 PM

Well, it was my first oil change and I wanted to do it as soon as Honda allowed -- since they don't recommend a break-in oil change.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:28 PM

I keep reading comments that Honda adds special break-in additives in the oil, and they would like it run to near 100%? What oil did you go with.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:31 PM

I love to get 50 mpg in 32 degree weather. It makes me happy about the state of the world. I filled up on the way to work this morning (yes, ick, working on Saturday) and on the drive in, a bit over 22 miles, I managed 56+ mpg! After weeks of snow and slush and subzero temperatures around here, a sunny day with no traffic, not too cold, no wind and no rush gave me driving conditions that were terribly therapeutic for me and my mpg.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:32 PM

Makes me want to get my oil changed... I have 20% life left. I would like to get 50mpg in any weather.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
I keep reading comments that Honda adds special break-in additives in the oil, and they would like it run to near 100%? What oil did you go with.
Well, I have heard/read "no" to the break-in fluid changes, but I have not heard of running it to 100% (or 0%). I am trying to do EXACTLY what Honda tells me, to keep this car running forever.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the shop used Honda brand 0w-30? I have a gread independant Honda/Acura shop that is really a dream-come-ture. It's big, clean, affordable, FULL of Hondas and Honda paraphanalia, and they are totally confident working on hybrids (not sure about IMA related stuff).

Although, I should note the change was more than I thought -- $48. He said the cost of the oil had gone up since our other car's last oil change -- I believe that.

And, I got 42mpg in 10 degs this morning. Nice, considering some of the scary stories I've read about FE after the first oil change.

Cheers, nf

P.S. Found the breakdown in price:
4qts. $26.68
1 filter $6.50
Shop Supp $1
Labor $12
Tax $2.39
(incl. top-off all fluids and set tire pressure)

Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 AM

You should ask them why they changed the oil filter when its not asked for? First sevice is oil and tire rotation only. It is funny why most dealers do not believe in what Honda recommends. Old school I would guess! cheers,H

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM

That's weird, I've never heard of changing the oil and not the filter. To clarify, I take my cars to an independent shop, not a dealer.

Quick Reply: All's Well -- 10 month, 7k mile, 1st oil change update

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands