2006 Honda Civic Tour hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Honda Civic Tour hybrid

Any of you automotively-savvy folks know how much it costs to lower a car an inch or two?

And anyone care to speculate what the effect on drag would be, in terms of MPG, at highway speeds (60-70 MPH)? It seems like it should make *some* difference; and if we think that having the pie-plate rims makes a difference, it seems like having a lowered car would have an effect also?

Not that I would ever have the guts to do it, plus I'm way to old. I'm just curious.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by coyote
Any of you automotively-savvy folks know how much it costs to lower a car an inch or two?

And anyone care to speculate what the effect on drag would be, in terms of MPG, at highway speeds (60-70 MPH)? It seems like it should make *some* difference; and if we think that having the pie-plate rims makes a difference, it seems like having a lowered car would have an effect also?

Not that I would ever have the guts to do it, plus I'm way to old. I'm just curious.
It will cost any where from $200-$500 and on up, depending on the model and how you want to lower the car. Some cars with rear leaf spring are easy, basically unbolt the bracket and flip the bracket over and then buy a new set pf shorter springsd for the front. Or the better way is a new set of leaf springs with one or two less leafs in the set of springs. For cars like ours, buy a new set of four springs to go around one to two inches lower. Labor is usually not very expensive for this type of install.
Or you can go the much more ex*****ve route but you will have a softer ride by usuing airbags. In a nutshell, airbags replace the springs and provide a better ride. They are costly and most stysems require the install of an air compressor.
Oh, and as far as the drag it will lower the coeffecient drang of the car because less air is able to get under the car to slow it down. Thats why on the Hybrids they add all the extra under body plastic to block air from getting under and bounching around causing drag. SAome one if more expertise in this filed could probably better answer but I know that ther is a positive benefit.
And a word of advice from having cars low to the ground, don't do it unless you plan on racing the car or for show and not as a daily driver. Don't lower a car because ground clearance really becomes an issue, especially with curbs and bad streets. You will bottom out alot and tear up your front end. It drove me crazy. The height of the HCH now is perfect, not to low to be a real problem with road obstacles but not too high gain unwated drag. That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Adam_HybridCivic; 03-31-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 PM

Interesting! Thanks Adam for the informative and pragmatic reply!

Old 04-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast

I'm planning to lower my 05 HCH soon. I was gonna go with some Tein S-Tech lowering springs but decided to just go with a coilover/damper kit instead. It's recommended to get new shocks along with the new springs since the stock shocks will wear out quicker and make the ride too stiff. Estimated price will be around $1050 for Tein Type Basic dampers/coilovers and installation, plus additional costs for appropriate camber adjustment as well.

I agree with Adam about the reduced drag and his explanation makes a lot of sense PLUS the new suspension will provide much better handling.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Handling isn't an issue for me because I still use the factor 185 width tire. I am considering lowering the vehicle though. Does anyone know the method of front and rear camber adjustment on an 04? Do I need to purchase adjustable control arms? I know they were required on some older hondas, just wanting to try to get an accurate estimate of what everything will cost. Any input on brand and ride quality would be nice too.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 PM

Just thought that I would let everyone know (if you care): The Black Eyed Peas HCH II is for sale on Ebay. Here is the listing if you want to check it out:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...hotohostingThe Item number: 4640840477 if that doesn't work.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can bet you'll see more of those Black Eyed Peas cars for sale on Ebay...

Old 05-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Hypermiler wanna Be

Originally Posted by Sledge
Ick. I dislike pretty much everything except the head unit.
I like the wheels better than the standard equipment on the HCHII.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:00 PM

good luck selling this car. i am sure this will be listed on ebay again and again and again. the past couple of civics have done the same. nobody wants to pay for an overpriced civic. if i were the winner i would just get a custom paint job and drive it.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast

"good luck selling this car. i am sure this will be listed on ebay again and again and again. the past couple of civics have done the same. nobody wants to pay for an overpriced civic. if i were the winner i would just get a custom paint job and drive it."

I agree, especially with a starting bid of 30K!!