2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

Well Honda Headquarterssays they are working on replacing my car, but are having a hard time finding a replacement since most cars have already been allocated to the dealerships. It might be a couple of weeks or longer before I see a new car. Today I also got a toll evasion violation fine; someone from Honda drove my car through the express lane without a transponder while they were trying to diagnose the problem. Not sure what they were thinking?

Last edited by hchowner; 05-06-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:43 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Thumbs up Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

I'm at about 1200 miles. I've watched the Trip A Odometer around 63-64 miles and also at 127-129 miles a few times. So far I haven't seen anything unusual. I'm not touching the Trip B Odometer - I decided to use it for lifetime mileage, so I can check it against the miles/gallons calculations. So far I guess I lucked out - NO BUG . Best of luck to those dealing with this.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

I wonder if you could put up a stink about that violation and have them grab a car from one of the dealers alloctions since you obviously cant trust them to continue driving your car for "testing".

Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

I just stopped at the dealership this morning and they said that Honda Headquarters had the car when this violation happened. I asked the dealership to write down the mileage of the car. They have put on 1000 miles trying to diagnoses this problem. I will have to call headquarters Monday morning to figure out what is going on.

Last edited by hchowner; 05-06-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:42 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: No 63 mile bug report

Originally Posted by ElanC
I think this is a false hope. You'll either get lucky or you won't. From what people are reporting, Honda isn't quite convinced yet that there is a problem, and they haven't fixed it in production. Once they have a fix, I'm sure they'll issue a bulletin to the dealers' service departments.
ElanC;

I think you are exactly Correct:

Good Thing Is Honda Will Correct Situation: (IMO)

Terry

Old 02-04-2006, 11:04 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Originally Posted by hchowner
I just stopped at the dealership this morning and they said that Honda Headquarters had the car when this violation happened. I asked the dealership to write down the mileage of the car. They have put on 1000 miles trying to diagnoses this problem. I will have to call headquarters Monday morning to figure out what is going on.
hchowner;

I have been following your story on this situation with your HCH II and I think that {HONDA} will get this Resolved for you. The Pain is the wait for all this to take place.

I Hate that this is happening with this New Hybrid from Honda. The good thing is, Honda will at some point get this Resolved for "YOU".

Regards;

Terry

Old 02-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default The "63 Mile Bug" -- what is it?

Hi, I've seen mention and quoting about the "63 mile" bug, but no matter how much I look, I can't find an original post detailing what it is exactly. Could someone please post here again and give more detail on it? (I have an 06 HCH).

Are you talking about the TRIP A/TRIP B mpg reports?

Sorry, but can you kind of spell out what you think the bug is, and how many other people have reported having it?

I'm so stupid. You can change from miles to kms, but when I tried to see if I could change from F to C (temp) in the display (you can't in the US models anyway), I held the button down too long, and reset my TRIP A counter -- something I was planning on leaving up until 9,999 (TRIP B gets reset everytime I fill up). No way to "un-reset" it. Oh well.

Anyway, could someone please post details on the supposed bug, and how to detect it? Is it obvious to anyone watching when 63 miles rolls around?
Thanks
Happy 06 HCH owner. Paid MSRP (sigh, at least it wasn't above) in January.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The "63 Mile Bug" -- what is it?

Originally Posted by misterlar
Hi, I've seen mention and quoting about the "63 mile" bug, but no matter how much I look, I can't find an original post detailing what it is exactly. Could someone please post here again and give more detail on it? (I have an 06 HCH).

Are you talking about the TRIP A/TRIP B mpg reports?

Sorry, but can you kind of spell out what you think the bug is, and how many other people have reported having it?

I'm so stupid. You can change from miles to kms, but when I tried to see if I could change from F to C (temp) in the display (you can't in the US models anyway), I held the button down too long, and reset my TRIP A counter -- something I was planning on leaving up until 9,999 (TRIP B gets reset everytime I fill up). No way to "un-reset" it. Oh well.

Anyway, could someone please post details on the supposed bug, and how to detect it? Is it obvious to anyone watching when 63 miles rolls around?
Thanks
Happy 06 HCH owner. Paid MSRP (sigh, at least it wasn't above) in January.
If you have the bug (I do) the MPG number on the Trip A and Trip B displays reset every 63 miles or so. You won't see anything obvious. You'll only notice if you watch the MPG as you cross over that milestone.

Let's say you're driving along with Trip A showing a distance of 60 miles and MPG of 45. If you climb a hill, or let off the gas for a few seconds, your MPG might change a little. It won't change very much because your MPG is being averaged over the last 60 miles, so any instantaneous change has little effect on the average. Then, as you get past the 63 mile mark, your MPG is reset. Suddenly the average MPG is being calculated over a very short distance. It starts changing around rapidly with every change in driving conditions. If you were going up a steep hill when the reset happened, for example, you might see your MPG drop to 20. A moment later, when you reach the top of the hill and let off the gas pedal, you might see your MPG jump up to 25, 30, 35 etc. It changes quickly because it's averaging over a short distance. After a few more miles the erratic behavior of the MPG settles down and it becomes hard to tell that it was reset.

Each of the Trip MPGs resets at a different time, whenever it reaches a multiple of 63 miles (100 kilometers).

Old 02-11-2006, 11:24 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: The "63 Mile Bug" -- what is it?

Originally Posted by ElanC
If you have the bug (I do) the MPG number on the Trip A and Trip B displays reset every 63 miles or so. You won't see anything obvious. You'll only notice if you watch the MPG as you cross over that milestone.

Let's say you're driving along with Trip A showing a distance of 60 miles and MPG of 45. If you climb a hill, or let off the gas for a few seconds, your MPG might change a little. It won't change very much because your MPG is being averaged over the last 60 miles, so any instantaneous change has little effect on the average. Then, as you get past the 63 mile mark, your MPG is reset. Suddenly the average MPG is being calculated over a very short distance. It starts changing around rapidly with every change in driving conditions. If you were going up a steep hill when the reset happened, for example, you might see your MPG drop to 20. A moment later, when you reach the top of the hill and let off the gas pedal, you might see your MPG jump up to 25, 30, 35 etc. It changes quickly because it's averaging over a short distance. After a few more miles the erratic behavior of the MPG settles down and it becomes hard to tell that it was reset.

Each of the Trip MPGs resets at a different time, whenever it reaches a multiple of 63 miles (100 kilometers).
Hey ElanC;

Thanks for the Description on what takes place with this FE Gauge reading Thing.

It will let owners know what to look for and from what you just said it has to be Viewed right when it takes Place.

Terry

BTW; In a Couple of weeks I will be on the Look-Out for this FE Gauge Reading/Resetting Thing.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Don't think I have the "63 mile mpg reset" problem in my 06 HCH.

As an experiment, I reset BOTH Trip A and Trip B meters, but spaced them a bit apart (about 8 miles apart). I was averaging around 41mpg in both meters (was doing a lot of heavy city and hill driving)... but anyway, both Trip A and Trip B were about the same. Then Trip A turned "63" miles. Trip B counter still was at around 55 miles.

As soon as the Trip A got to 63 miles, I purposely tried being "hard" on the car (accelerating, using lots of gas, etc). If the reset problem was there on my car, than having JUST turned 63miles, the TRIP A meter would show a very low mpg (ie, 20s?) to reflect what the real-time-mpg gauge was showing -- pretty bad mpg. But instead it only dropped slightly (as did the TRIP B meter), and was only 2-3 mpg off between the TRIP A (which had just passed 63) and TRIP B (which was at around 58, and hadn't reached 63 yet).

I don't think any of these things are hyper-accurate... remember, it changes all the time, updated every 10 secs or so, but driving is never constant.. I use it just as a guide. But at least at first glance, there doesn't seem to be a sudden change in mpg when my trip meter passes 63. I purposely set the two meters about 8 miles apart because that would give a good test (since they were close enough in miles, the average should be about the same -- and if the "reset" problem did actually happen, then the one where it passed 63 would suddenly show vastly different mpg miles). So it looks OK here...

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands