2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

I bought a 2006 HCH in November by December the hybrid engine light (IMA), battery light and the check engine indicators went on. The hybrid engine shuts down and will only work with the gas engine. The car has been at the dealership and they still don't know what is wrong. Anyone else experience similar or other problems already with their 2006 HCH?

Last edited by hchowner; 05-06-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Check out this thread for another person with HCH probs.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...2006.5524.html

Different kind of battery problem, but ended up getting a new battery pack at 1,800 miles.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

I hope if it was the battery they whould have figured this out within month. It has happened during startup and while driving. They have replaced one of the modules (not sure which one) and it still has a problem.

Last edited by hchowner; 05-06-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry you are having such troubles, it might end up being a lemon and you will get a new one in replace of it. I can't understand why the diagnostics wouldn't pick up the reason for the lights coming on. I think the lemon law is three times they try to solve the problem? In any case you will have a great car, whether the bugs get worked out in this one or they give you a fresh start. What kind of mpg are you getting with the problem? How many miles on it? Could you give us more info in greater detail if possible. It would help others understand what is going on and in case someone else has this in the future. It is a new model with all new electronics, motor, etc.

Hope the best for you and keep your head up. They should give you a car to drive if the problems require the vehicle to not be driven, whether they are fixing it or locating a replacement ... I would consider both of those lights coming on a good reason not to drive it. If the dealer you are currently working with about the problem doesn't, take it to another Honda dealer, your warranty is good with any and at worst case scenario, you might have a really crappy dealer. Take care and good luck.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes Honda makes a good car, has good customer service and there are good lemmon laws to protect you.

This will be fixed and you will be happy.

Keep us posted with lots of details.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Razorx

Originally Posted by hchowner
I bought a 2006 HCH in November by December the hybrid engine light (IMA), battery light and the check engine indicators went on. The hybrid engine shuts down and will only work with the gas engine. The car has been at the dealership and they still don't know what is wrong. Anyone else experience similar or other problems already with their 2006 HCH?
Have you contacted Honda Customer Service yet? I have noticed a decline in the ability of service techs to troubleshoot and resolve car problems (No duh to myself).

If something takes longer than a week, contact Honda. With this new model release, we all need to be aggressive about pursuing resolution of ANY issues that come up.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:10 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Originally Posted by hchowner
Hi;

Call: 1-800-999-1009 Honda Customer Service:

Sorry, to hear of your "Problems" with your New HCH ll. Call the number above and speak to them.

I wish this was under Happier Conditions but in any case Welcome to Greenhybrid and we all hear wish a Speedy Recovery for your New HCH ll.

HTH

Terry

Old 01-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

I had about 2500 miles when the IMA system shut down the first time. It happened about 2 more times before I had a chance to take it to the dealership. Most of the time the IMA will not operate between warm starts (1 hour of idle time). When this happens the backup starter turns over the car, so at least I can still drive, but it has no power. It also shut down a couple of times while driving on the freeway.

The dealership originally did not have the software to read the engine codes out, the first time I dropped it off the car, nor could they replicate the problem. Honda techline stated to reset the computer and send the car back out. I had the same problem within an hour of picking up the car. After taking the car back again they were finally able to repeat the problem at the dealership but were still having trouble reading the engine codes. From the paper work it looks like they performed a calibration on the rotor and replaced the motor controller. Even after all this they were still getting the problem to occur. At this time techline said they would like to see the car.

The car was sent to Honda Headquarters in Torrance (good thing I leave in Southern California). They had the car for over a week and could not replicate the problem. I picked up the car and within a day and it happened again. I have returned the car to the dealership yesterday and it will go to back to Honda Headquarters Monday morning.

I have already called Honda Customer Service and opened a case number within the first week of the problem. They have been very kind but I am concerned how much longer I will be without a HCH II car. They have provided me with a rental car, not a hybrid of course, but the main reason I bought the car was to use the carpool lane. It is disappointing to watch all the other hybrid and gas cars drive by while I sit in traffic. I am not sure what Honda is going to do next, the car has been out of service for about 30 days and this is the third time to the garage. In total they have put on about 800 miles between the dealership and corporate. I will keep you all posted as to what happens next.

Last edited by hchowner; 05-06-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Isn't this the 3rd one in the last couple of weeks? I'm beginning to get concerned.

Don

Old 01-21-2006, 06:06 PM

I think it's the first year syndome.

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands