2006 Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Acceleration

Hi,

I know we don't buy these cars for their 0 to 60 times but I'm constantly merging on the highway/passing and need some guts for this. The new 06's are supose to be 20% more powerful then its predecessor. Can anyone give their estimates on how well (or not) the new 06 Civic accelerates? Also, has anyone compared the power to an 05 model? Thanks

Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: 2006 Acceleration

The car certainly leaves a little to be desired in the acceleration department with a 0-60 in the 11-13 second range depending on level of charge. It is plenty adequate for merging onto highways, I just have to depend a little more on timing than with my old Integra GS-R. I haven't driven the 05 however.

I remember in the mid 80's when this car's 0-60 time would have been above average.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Don't forget you can pull in *behind* that car instead of in front of it.

From what I observe very few people have figured this out.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Don't forget you can pull in *behind* that car instead of in front of it.

From what I observe very few people have figured this out.
Generally I will time my merging so that I merge just behind someone rather than just in front, however, there will always be another shortly behind. While it is possible to just merge while moving slower, I like to be going just at the going speed in the lane to minimze the number of driver interactions (ie, don't want to force the guy behind me to change lanes or brake). However, there is usually a truck or someone fairly slow going in the far right lane anyway so freeway merging isn't where I feel acceleration is most important.

Where acceleration truly counts are in mountain driving situations where it is necessary to pass, and additionally, in situatoins when making left turns onto busy streets with no signal -- once you get gonig you it's best to get up to speed fast. Of course generally it's best to avoid that one altogether where possible. I once was following another driver somewhere and needed to make such a left turn (or else turn right and turn around several minutes later then find the person I was following), and I was sitting with a msotly depleted pack. The turn was on an incline. Even though I managed to make it with plenty of room to spare, the slow acceleration with a depleted pack, even when floored had me a bit worried.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I do 0 to 60 in 45 seconds and have great insurance. I have yet to pull out the auxillary Flinstones boost.

If you have to ask, it's probably not a good vehicle for you. Have you test driven one yet? Maybe the Accord would be better.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

For the numbers check out http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/...?topicID=72819. Personally, I find the acceleration of the '06 HCH adequate, but not exciting.