2005 hch cvt

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 hch cvt

Hi. I am new to the forum and new to hybrids. I recently just bought my second car, and it is a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. I was wondering if I should use CVT fluid or ATF fluid in the transmission. In my manual and on my dipstick it says to use ATF, but being it's a CVT - I am trying to get different opinions. I have heard of the transmission horror stories - so to avoid this, I am asking people with HCH experience to post their thoughts. I bought it at kind of a steep price because I am only 18 and trying to build my credit, and I cannot afford anything to go wrong. I also average only about 40 to 41 mpg. Is this normal? Thanks!

-Kyle.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Think green.
Default Re: 2005 hch cvt

Originally, Honda used the ATF fluid, which is why it says that in the manuals, but a few years later they changed to the Honda CVT fluid, at which time they sent owners a card to notify us of the change. So, it's Honda CVT fluid that is now recommended.

Your average mileage may seem low to you, but if you do a lot of short trips or city-type driving with many stops and such, it is quite normal. That's the type of driving I usually do, but I notice that if I do highway drives, the mpg is much higher. (See the link in my signature.) If you want tips on how to increase your mpg, see a site like cleanmpg.com

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Originally, Honda used the ATF fluid, which is why it says that in the manuals, but a few years later they changed to the Honda CVT fluid, at which time they sent owners a card to notify us of the change. So, it's Honda CVT fluid that is now recommended.

Your average mileage may seem low to you, but if you do a lot of short trips or city-type driving with many stops and such, it is quite normal. That's the type of driving I usually do, but I notice that if I do highway drives, the mpg is much higher. (See the link in my signature.) If you want tips on how to increase your mpg, see a site like cleanmpg.com
Thanks a lot for your response, I really appreciate it!

Old 09-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Think green.

No problem.

If you do a search, you can also find some helpful hints from a member named Steve, such as the post in the following thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...igh-mpg-26580/

Good luck with your car.