2004 Sirius Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Angry 2004 Sirius Install

Has anyone had any experience with installing Sirius on a 2004 HCH? I bought the Sportster 4 for my fiance's birthday and we have been using it by connecting it through the cigarette adapter, but it is horrible! He commutes an hour to work each way, so he has to constantly look for a new blank station. And there are many times where we'll find multiple blank stations over the course of 15 minutes or so, but the Sirius won't come through on any of them! It seems that the only way to avoid going through the empty FM station is to connect it to the AUX/Line-in, but there's none on the front of the radio. I've heard that it is sometimes located on the back of the radio, but I'd hate to pay someone to find it if it doesn't exist. Please help before I throw the Sirius out the window!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2004 Sirius Install

An AUX input is always best, but without one, you have to spend money to have a car stereo shop install a "black box" that somehow goes into a special plug in the back of you radio. The black box usually costs about $100 or more.

Otherwise, there is another option. You can buy an FM modulator. True, the Sirus unit has one built in, but it is weak. A seperate FM modulator is usually stronger, and might be strong enough to overcome any station that is broadcasting on a paticular FM channel. Some external FM modulators even have wires that connect it to your car radio antenna, and that really makes a difference.

Sirius (or XM) is really worth it, so don't give up!

Good luck!

Paula

Old 09-27-2007, 03:26 PM
HOV lane commuter
Default Re: 2004 Sirius Install

Also depends greatly on where you live. In LA or NY, it's hard to find open channels; easier (and thus the product works better) in other markets.