120+MPG over 4.6 miles.... PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default 120+MPG over 4.6 miles.... PICS!

You smart guys will figure this out but had some fun yesterday. We're in the middle of a 1200-mile cross-country trip (overall trip MPG has been around 39mpg but we're going 70-80mph):

This was the average speed during these 4 miles as well!

A little bit later...

This one is blurry but it reads something like 108.6mpg and 7.8 miles...
still travelling between 60-75mph the entire way...

Ok, since I probably won't have internet for a day or two, I'll give the secret.. southbound interstate in Tennessee going down a BIG mountain. Of course I got 18mph on the way UP.

Oh and I had to use the BRAKE to keep the car under 80mph!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:41 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: 120+MPG over 4.6 miles.... PICS!

YIKES JeremyG, I don't think going that fast in "N" is a very good idea per a bunch of earlier posts. Something about CVT fluid not being circulated well. I used to neutral coast at slower speeds but have since stopped doing it for fear of damaging the CVT.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast

You could get 120mpg for many more miles with a tow strap! Or maybe a fishing rod and small grappling hook, do some "semi snagging"

Old 11-06-2005, 08:04 AM
my other car is a FJORD

LOL...i would have guessed coming into denver from the eisenhower tunnel.....that is one fast and scary drive....and downhill all the way. what's really scary are all the runaway truck ramps.....

Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hmm, I don't recall reading anything about high-speed neutral... any links?

I'm not horribly worried, though... warranty

Old 11-12-2005, 10:31 AM

High speed neutral seems to be okay for some and others notice some kicking when they shift back into gear.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The longest I have succeeded in keeping my MPG meter pegged at 99.9 is about 20 miles -- but a 400 ft drop in elevation made it possible. By the time I had completed the circuit, my FE had dropped to about 80.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:41 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by JeremyG
Hmm, I don't recall reading anything about high-speed neutral... any links?

I'm not horribly worried, though... warranty
Here is a link I found. One reason I don't N coast any more is because I forgot that the trans was in N and stepped on the gas and revvved the engine while still in N. This happend to me a couple of times (I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree) so I don't do it anymore...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...=neutral+coast

Old 11-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
YIKES JeremyG, I don't think going that fast in "N" is a very good idea per a bunch of earlier posts. Something about CVT fluid not being circulated well. I used to neutral coast at slower speeds but have since stopped doing it for fear of damaging the CVT.
I haven't heard of this being the case for CVTs. I have heard this can be a problem for typical automatic transmissions, because the wheels still spin the gears with the engine disconnected, and idle not being enough power to circulate the fluid. However, from what I understand on the honda CVT, the pulleys and belts are always connected to the engine because the clutch is between the driven side of the transmission and the driveshaft, meaning that when in neutral at ANY speed, the transmission itself should only be spinning the same speed as the engine, rather than being spun-up by the wheels.

I know this is the case for the insight, though I'm not positive if it's sam on the Civic (though I suspect it is). Can anyone confirm this for sure?

High speed neutral seems to be okay for some and others notice some kicking when they shift back into gear.
I have experimented and I know you can pretty much eliminate this when coasting at high speed. At that speed, the transmission should be in its highest ratio, so it's possible to rev-match before re-engaging (ie, rev up to 2200 rpm if at 60mph)

Old 11-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi JeremyG:

___I know it was a huge down slope out of a mountain but why was the ICE running again

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: 120+MPG over 4.6 miles.... PICS!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands