09 Civic IMA Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy 09 Civic IMA Issues

I am looking for any feedback.

I own an 09 Civic that has 3300 miles on it. I've owned it two months. After one month the IMA light came on so I brought it to the dealership. They said the fuse had not been properly seated and told me that they fixed the problem.

Less than one month passes and the IMA light comes on again. They call me to tell me it is an issue with the battery and they will call me when the anticipate receiving the battery. And that they have arranged for a rental for me, that Honda is graciously paying for.

Today they call me to tell me that the battery is on backorder and they hope to receive one from the West coast or from Japan and that they might have it by next week.

I talked to my sales person who says he will talk to the sales manager and such. He calls me to tell me they have the Honda rep coming out tomorrow to take a look at the car.

It doesn't sound good. Does anyone have any information on this that they could share with me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 Civic IMA Issues

That's the first I've heard about an '09 (or '06-'08 for that matter) needing to have the battery replaced. It doesn't sound like Honda is very well equipped to handle battery replacements yet either.

Good luck, try to enjoy the rental car, and keep us up to date with your experience.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

I have the exact same issue. My 09 has 4500 miles on it and the IMA light came on. The dealer says it is a bad battery pack and has ordered a new one. I have parked the car until the new pack is installed. They of course said it will be a full warrenty but it is interesting that you have the same issue. My 03 civic hybrid batteries lasted 80k miles, they were repaced under warrenty and my daughter is currently driviing the car with 120k on it.
My only other complaint is the Bluetooth intergration, not this thread but I am still pissed, no caller ID is passed after I was assuered it would would. Long story short be sure to link your cell and test prior to purchase.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is the 3rd or 4th '09 incident I have read about. One post mentioned something was not properly installed in/on the battery pack on some of the '09's. Honda knows about it, but rather handle it case by case instead of a issuing a Recall.

Just found this concerning the '09's:
The service manager told me that the problem was that washers were left out of some batteries during their manufacture and Honda told them not to troubleshoot the problem just to replace the battery of which I am thankful for in the long run. I'd rather have the battery replaced than to have to keep returning for the same problem.
And here's the link to the original thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ry-dead-20482/

Jess

Last edited by Jess; 01-17-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

What is IMA ?
Very new to the hybrid

Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Integrated Motor Assist IMA

Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

I am at the dealership right now with my 2009 HCH. Dropped 10-12 miles per gallon in gas mileage over the last two months. The auto stop feature won't work. The IMA warning light came on yesterday. The service manager is telling me they are going to update the software which according to other responders won't do a bit of good. I will most likely be back in less than a month to have the battery replaced. The car has 9,500 miles on it.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

The service manager is telling me my drop in gas mileage of 12 miles per gallon has to do with winter driving! Yeah, right. My IMA warning light went on yesterday after two months of the mileage dropping substantially.

They say they will update the software due to the problems with the IMA but I am certain I will be back to have the battery replaced later!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased my 2009 HCH in March this year, brand-new. It has now done 6700 kms. I have to say, that I am very pleased with it's performance and economy. I average 52 miles to the (imperial) gallon or around 18 kms/litre.

I understand that the hybrid battery has a 8 year warranty on it, so if there are any problems it will be replaced at no cost. However, it sounds like you may have copped a faulty batch. If I did encounter a similar problem here in New Zealand, I am sure that Honda will deal with it. The car has a 3 year warranty as well, which can be extended to 6 years at a fairly modest price (around $1200 New Zealand dollars) which I consider a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by Drive-A-Hybrid; 12-14-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Debb,

In some instances the Auto Stop feature will not work. It depends on a number of factors like if air conditioning is turned on, the hybrid battery is not charged (and your faulty battery will cause the auto-stop not to work) and other features around the functioning of the car. In New Zealand we have a fairly mild climate compared to some northern hemisphere countries, so my auto-stop feature works most times.

Quick Reply: 09 Civic IMA Issues

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands