'06 HCH - 2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:34 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Question '06 HCH - 2 Questions

'06 HCH Owners,

I have 2 questions:

1. Any one get the interior illumination kit installed? I got one and it only works with the headlights on . Not what I expected. I figured they would come on when you opened the door like the dome light does.

2. Has anyone else hooked up a mobile HAM (Amateur Radio) unit in their new car? I'm a new ham operator, and I just purchased a Kenwood TM-D700A Dual Band rig. This radio uses a fair amount of "juice" as it transmitts at 50 watts of power. If anyone has an FM 2 Meter radio, how was it hooked up? Through the fuse panel, or direct to the battery?
Thanks for any info,

Old 02-01-2006, 12:43 PM
It's not easy being Green
Default Re: '06 HCH - 2 Questions

Hi Don:

The 12 volt power outlets are rated at 120 watts MAX. Check the power consumption rating on the Kenwood and see if that is less than 120 watts. If it is, you can just plug it into the aux 12v power outlet that looks like a cigarette lighter. Simple enough.

If the Kenwood needs 110v ac power, then you'll have to look into installing an inverter to produce 110v from your car 12v dc system. Check into Surepower units, I have a friend who works there and he says lots of truckers buy them.

If the Kenwood needs more than 120 watts of 12v power, then you must have an auxiliary circuit wired into the car to supply it or locate an unused fuse in the fuse box of sufficient power. As a rule of thumb, you can multiply 12v times current rating to get watts available. So, for example, 120 watts at 12v is 10 amps.

Enjoy the ham radio, especially at night on a local peak. Great skip at those times.

MG

Old 02-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have the interior illumination installed, and I was expecting them to come on with the dome lights as well. Kinda bummed me out. That's how they are supposed to be I guess. The good thing is that you can have them on while driving which I'd rather take over the dome light feature. Its more of a flashy thing than a practical one. It is an accessory after all.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just installed my 40W VHF rig to the 06. I wired the cable directly to the battery to avoid any engine noises. If you open your left door and look at the place where the door cables enter the car, just a little bit below is a round rubber cover. If you remove that cover there is a fairly big opening directly to the car. Remove the door sill molding and then the pannel covering the corner area, push your cable through the hole and it will come out inside the car. I routed the cable to the battery inside the new (for the 06 at least) black moldings inside the engine compartment (where the windshield washer reservoir is), then on the front of the car to the battery. You cannot even see it.

Now placing the radio on the car is a lot more difficult to do...

Juan S. Fernandez
06 HCH OSBM
Los Angeles, CA

Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: '06 HCH - 2 Questions

Originally Posted by Donald
'06 HCH Owners,

I have 2 questions:

1. Any one get the interior illumination kit installed? I got one and it only works with the headlights on . Not what I expected. I figured they would come on when you opened the door like the dome light does.

2. Has anyone else hooked up a mobile HAM (Amateur Radio) unit in their new car? I'm a new ham operator, and I just purchased a Kenwood TM-D700A Dual Band rig. This radio uses a fair amount of "juice" as it transmitts at 50 watts of power. If anyone has an FM 2 Meter radio, how was it hooked up? Through the fuse panel, or direct to the battery?
Thanks for any info,
Hi Don;

Here is a Link to the Install Instructions:

http://www.handaaccessories.com/civic/06hybridlight.pdf

HTH;

Terry

Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi Don;

Here is a Link to the Install Instructions:

http://www.handaaccessories.com/civic/06hybridlight.pdf

HTH;

Terry
Terry,
Thanks for the url. It appears that Honda designed the interior lights to work with the headlight switch. I would have preferred for these new lights to come on and off with the dome light.
Regards,

Old 02-02-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jsalva11
I just installed my 40W VHF rig to the 06. I wired the cable directly to the battery to avoid any engine noises. If you open your left door and look at the place where the door cables enter the car, just a little bit below is a round rubber cover. If you remove that cover there is a fairly big opening directly to the car. Remove the door sill molding and then the pannel covering the corner area, push your cable through the hole and it will come out inside the car. I routed the cable to the battery inside the new (for the 06 at least) black moldings inside the engine compartment (where the windshield washer reservoir is), then on the front of the car to the battery. You cannot even see it.

Now placing the radio on the car is a lot more difficult to do...

Juan S. Fernandez
06 HCH OSBM
Los Angeles, CA
Juan,
Thanks for your note. What did you do with the ground? My radio recommends connecting both wires to the battery. I am also contacting Honda Customer Service on this. Their 1st response was it has to go through the aux. power. I don't think there's enough juice, plus I also worry about noise. I'm a tech no-code, but I passed the general theory test. If the FCC changes the requirements - then I can go HF. My call sign is KC2NDC. What license do you have? Down the road we could talk about our cars. I live near Buffalo, NY, but I've picked up CA on HF. I'll keep you posted.
Regards,

Old 02-02-2006, 10:47 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

Wonder how many Ham Radio Operators we have on here?

I used the 12V outlet under the AM/FM radio to power the dual band FT8800. It draws 8 amps, outlet is rated for 10 amps. Works fine, no noise at all. I was thinking of going to the battery...but did not want the extra work if I did not have to. Was concerned about noise from the car (engine or other) but its very quiet.

As to mounting the radio, assuming that it will split, I have the display just in front of the shifter (small resesed are before the drink holder area) and the radio itself under the seat. For a good ground, I have it anchored to an thick (1/8") aluminum strip that bolts to one of the seat bolts. Very secure and excellent ground. More than happy to send anybody pictures of the set up. I have an external speaker on the far side of the shifter. Antenna is just a mag mount on the roof.

73, N5KF

Old 02-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

My call sign is KG6SYU, just technician no code... But the radio is from Civil Air Patrol, I barely use my tech... It's a huge EF Johnson brick with no remote head. I'm trying to accomodate the radio on the passenger area... I will work on the general eventually. I'm also trying to learn code. I routed both cables to the battery.

When I had the radio on the 03 people could hear some engine noise (not much), mainly during acceleration (IMA) so I just did the wiring on the new car too.

The mag mount will scratch the paint. I installed a trunk lip mount. THe 06 does have openings on the back, look for them. Look on the area behing the speakers. I was able to put the antenna cable throught without removing the back seat.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

KG6SFE here. But I'm never on the air.

Quick Reply: '06 HCH - 2 Questions

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands