06 civic hybrid mpg update

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 06 civic hybrid mpg update

The last 1,014.4 miles took 19.989 gallons of reg gas for 50.737 MPG.
About 4,400 miles on the odometer. MPG is calculated by filling up to the
neck of the gas tank so you can not get one drop of gas in.

This method is the only true way in 1,000 miles or so to obtain the true mpg's
of your vehicle. Computer usual was about 2-7 mpg's off but pretty close.

Up here in n/w Oregon temp's have been in the 30's at times and driving mix
is about 30 city 70 hwy. I drive conservatively but not 40 mph in the rght
lane. I keep up with traffic.

Great car.

Alster

Old 12-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Default Re: 06 civic hybrid mpg update

By topping off, you're polluting pretty badly. Lots of fumes escape from the gas tank and go straight into the atmosphere. Please, for all our sakes, stop topping off! There's a reason you're never supposed to do it.

It's also incorrect to say it's the only valid way to measure FE. It's true that waiting for automatic shut-off does not guarantee an accurate tank reading but it does guarantee an accurate lifetime reading, and the margin of error for tank readings is pretty low anyway.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Why are gases escaping if you have the cap on tightly? Do you really think it makes that much difference to the atmosphere??

Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyt758
Why are gases escaping if you have the cap on tightly? Do you really think it makes that much difference to the atmosphere??
I don't know. I know the reason the hybrid's gas tank is a gallon smaller than the regular car's is because it has extra protection to seal in fumes, helping it achieve the PZEV rating, and that's why the PZEV first-gen HCH had a smaller tank than the ULEV (lean-burn) one. And I seem to recall that topping off does allow fumes to escape, and unburnt gas is not healthy.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I don't know. I know the reason the hybrid's gas tank is a gallon smaller than the regular car's is because it has extra protection to seal in fumes, helping it achieve the PZEV rating, and that's why the PZEV first-gen HCH had a smaller tank than the ULEV (lean-burn) one. And I seem to recall that topping off does allow fumes to escape, and unburnt gas is not healthy.
I thought topping off causes fumes to escape while you're fueling. If you don't have the nozzle all the way in when fueling the vapors cannot be captured by the pump's mechanism. It also causes inevitable little spills.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast

From
http://yourfamilyfinances.com/yff/Ar...0on%20Gas.aspx
  • Don’t Top Off the Tank—Some gas stations in conservation conscious states (like California) have “recirculation” pumps. These pumps are designed to capture gas fumes and recycle them to the station’s tanks (not yours). If you top off your tank you can be just pumping it back to the station. In other states, “topping off” can result in your spilling gas. Even if you are careful and "only fill the tank to the top" you can waste gas without even knowing it. Because gas from the stations underground tank is cool, as it warms up in your gas tank it expands, so you need extra empty space in your tank to hold the expanding gas. If you fill your tank right up to the top, as the gas expands it can spill out the top (after you drive away) and you won’t even know that you are spilling gas as you drive.
Seems like a pretty good explaination to me

DKeane

Old 12-20-2005, 08:42 AM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by xcel
___Do top off if possible or you are wasting gas by driving to the gas station that many more times per month. Why would anyone here want to waste gas here?
See above. Honestly who even goes out driving just to get gas? Isn't it more normal to stop at a station when you're passing it anyway if you happen to be low?

Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 AM

Actually, I have had that discussion with Wayne before, and he's not going to be buying it. I told him I never, ever go out of my way to buy gas; I usually just buy it when I am going to Sam's Club ANYWAY, but he still believes that topping off will somehow reduce the number of trips to the gas station. He's got every right to believe that for himself and his personal situation, and it very well might be true for HIM, but in my case, it's just not true. Like you say, I never go out of my way to get gas - I buy it when I need it, but have never made a special trip just to buy gas.
PS
My "disclaimer" is that I might go to Sam's Club more often that the average person. I go there MINIMUM 2-3 times per month for grocery shopping, and sometimes as many as 4-6 trips per month.

Last edited by lars-ss; 12-20-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

When I filled up it was 37 degrees. I really doubt there would be

any expansion. You can also go an extra 100 miles per tank when you

top off. I did not spill any gas when I filled. I have been driving for nearly

40 years.

Just my thoughts.

Alster

Quick Reply: 06 civic hybrid mpg update

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands