03 HCH New transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default 03 HCH New transmission

I wrote in an earlier thread about hesitation when accelerating out of idle position. (I have an automatic). As it turns out when I brought it into the Honda dealer the tech said they'd seen this problem a lot lately, and it's a problem in the transmission, and he replaced it. (it was free cuz im still under warranty.) I doubt they're gonna recall this, being it's not really a safety issue, but for anyone with a first-generation hch i'd recommend getting that checked out. i didnt ask if hed charge for the transmission swap if youre not under warranty.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Default Re: 03 HCH New transmission

Well, I'm out of warranty already. I guess I'll have to see how long mine holds out.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by lion
I wrote in an earlier thread about hesitation when accelerating out of idle position.
Here it is if you were looking for it:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-hch.2857.html

Old 10-15-2005, 04:00 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I'm out of warranty too. You did just remind me it's time to change the fluid again. Trying to do it every 18,000 miles.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Lion - can you describe the hesitation again?

I have an 03 HCH CVT (42K miles) and I'm just now noticing a hesitation. When I'm auto-stopped, I'll let off the brake and press the gas (not quickly, but as an average person would). I'm getting a 1 second or so hesitation (pushing gas down, not going anywhere). Then it kicks in in kind of a lurch. Were you experiencing the same thing? I have my 45K service coming up and I have an extended warranty. If there's something to fix, I'd like them to. :-)

Old 10-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

A friend of mine has an 30 HCH CVT that experienced the same problem. When it was brought to the dealer they checked it out and said that it was the transmission. Still under warranty, so they swapped it out. The problem still persisted. Took it back to the dealer, had it for 2 weeks and changed the EGR valve and now it runs like new.

I have two HCH CVT's, (one personnal and one work issued). My personnal HCH has 73,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. My work HCH has 12,000 miles and experienced the hesitation and bucking, BIG TIME. Took it to the dealer who said "it's probably the transmission". They were going to change it, but I had them check out the EGR valve first. Low and behold, got a new EGR valve and she now runs great. The technician said that the EGR valve was not letting the valves open or close properly which sent a signal to the transmission creating the problem.

Just a thought.

Howard

Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast

I thought that bucking back and forth was normal. I'm still under warranty. i might just have to take it in.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by hweldon
A friend of mine has an 03 HCH CVT that experienced the same problem. ...Took it back to the dealer, had it for 2 weeks and changed the EGR valve and now it runs like new.
Is this EGR issue limited to the '03 or have otehrs with "04 or "05 seen this? From some other sites it appears this has been seen even in '05's?

Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I can't respond to any other year except 03. I drive a white 03 HCH CVT (work issued) and that is the one that had the lurching problem and was cured when the EGR valve was replaced. I also drive a brown 03 HCH CVT (personal vehicle) which has not had any problems (knock on wood). My personal HCH has 75,000 miles on it and if it starts acting like a bucking bronco I'm going to replace the EGR valve first before the transmission. The EGR is right in front and easy to replace.

Howard

Old 07-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

How easy is it to replace? How much is the part?

Quick Reply: 03 HCH New transmission

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands