Yokohama tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Yokohama tires

Has anybody tried the dB Super E-spec tire from Yokohama?

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/e-spec.aspx

"The new dB Super E-spec passenger tire uses Yokohama’s Super Nano-Power Rubber compound and Advanced Inner Liner to create a tire that is 80% petroleum free, performs better than conventional tires made of vulcanized rubber, and has ultra-low rolling resistance. The new Yokohama orange oil-infused tire is their first product designed specifically for hybrid automobiles. Introduced in Japan in 2007, the dB super E-spec reconciles the conflict between low rolling resistance - key to delivering improved fuel economy - and superior grip in both wet and dry conditions while offering the quiet, comfortable ride that compliments the silent driving characteristics of hybrids."

These sound pretty cool. I haven't found out how many miles they're good for yet.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Yokohama tires

Not available for the HAH...

Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

I called Yokohama and tires for our car will be out the second quarter of this year. My local dealer says new tires generally come out in May. I hope my original tires last until then, I just turned 60,000 miles. Tires for the Civic Hybrid and Prius are available now.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wohoo! Sounds great. I think I'll be giving those tires a try as well.

I only got about 55K miles out of my OEMs. At that point, I had tread depths between 2/32 and 4/32.

I've got about 25K on my current tires. Should have about 20K of life left. So I'll probably need tires about this time next year.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

At 60,000 miles, I have a tread depth of 4.5/32 on the front and 4/32 on the rear. I don't want to go below 3/32. I'd prefer not to go below 4/32 after seeing Motorweek's wet pavement braking tests. A car at 2/32 took 4 times the distance to stop as a car with 4/32 tread depth.

I read where other tire manufacturers were also bringing out orange tires, so I called Michelin today. The person I talked with had no knowledge of orange tires being introduced by Michelin. Too bad, I'd really like to purchase Michelin's.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

I don't know any data, but I got (through eBates, then through Tire Rack) some
Michelin Pilot Sport A/T 2 plus tires(the plus is important), and got far better wet and dry braking from them...outstanding performance, much better than previous Yokohama Advan S tires. (don't know about mileage)

Old 06-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

What do they go for? Yokohama put out very expensive tires I'm told. These will probably cost as much as the Michelins. I bought mine over 50k miles ago so I will be due some new one soon as many miles I put on my 05 HAH.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast

like I said, go to eBates, then Tire Rack....2 tires for $333, that included shipping, arrived the next day. Now the ratings on Tire Rack were #1 for the highly advertised
Continental Extreme Contact, which may be better if you live where it snows a lot.
I live in Texas, so the Micheling Pilot Sport A/S Plus was actually a better rated tire for
"dry handling", which is what I do 99% of the time, and almost identical in wet to Continental.... but worse in snow. I'd still go with the Michelins... some dealers (not
Tire Rack) are currently offering $70 off, if you buy 4 Michelins.
But sometime even that doesn't beat the price at Tire Rack... (NTB, which often buys from Tire Rack, was charging $200/tire for these, without the mounting and balancing fees.
I've got 255/55/ZR16 on all 4 wheels now.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

This really doesn't look better priced to me. They want $849 for set install and that sounds like the figure I paid about 2 years ago. I haven't checked at the place where I go but Tirerack prices are not any better. I need to call my mechanic and price these. I have put over 50k on these in the 2 years and not sure how many more I can. Most of my mileage is highway so I may get 60 or 65k, not sure.