Road Trip Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Road Trip Results

I went on a vacation last week driving from Calgary to Vancouver to visit my sister and to break in my car. Some background info.. Calgary is about 1048 metres/3438 feet above sea level. So the trip down is mostly downhill, but there is a lot of uphill driving going up & down the mountains. The interior is abit more flatter and downhill.

I'm not too sure, but I think my A/C was on...the display didn't say A/C off or on.

Car was fairly light, only my family's clothes and 2 coolers.

My trip down was on the Trans-Canada highway for half the way and I decided to take the scenic route(secondary highway, 1 lane up 1 lane down) which consists of lots of curvy & winding roads where you can't really keep a constant speed. Total distance going down to Vancouver was about 1146 km/712 miles. Total FE is about 6.6 L/100km or 35.6mpg. On one stretch(Golden to Kelowna), I got an average of 5.1 L/100 km or 47 mpg.

I refueled when my tank is half empty, didn't want to take a chance in the mountains. But on the whole, I used 75 litres of gas over a 1146 km, a little over a tank of gas as opposed to 1.5 tank of gas on my I4 Accord.

I think the fuel economy indicator is an average of that trip. On the way back, my car was basically stuffed with lots of goods. Took a different route home 'cause I wanted to get some fruits($20 for 30 pounds of cherries!). It was about 100-200 km longer than going down, up and down through the mountains. Haven't filled up yet, but trip computer says the FE is about 7 L/100 km or 33mpg.

Only drove like 250 km in Vancouver, mostly in the Vancouver/Richmond/Burnaby + a little downtown region. Got like 9.6 L/100 km or 24mpg there. Lots of hilly roads and lots of traffic & traffic lights and very little highways. I definitely would not recommend this car if you live in that city, really a waste there.

Anyways, I'm fairly impressed with this car with the space & highway driving. Lots of power with a great FE on highways. Hopefully, the city driving would be better here in Calgary(not as much traffic lights & cars here, and highways are actually highways!) But I'll probably leave much city driving to my I4 Accord. I work an hour south of the city so I'm on the highway much of the time.

And my front bumper is fully of dead bugs.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Railroad; 08-20-2006 at 09:38 PM.